goose shooting tips please?

im starting out on the marshes hopefully this season with a extra bonus of going up to Scotland on the tay with a friend. his tip for shooting the geese was to blank out their head with the end of the barrel because if you miss the head you have still got the rest of the body to hit.

is this theory correct or is there other techniques?

all help would be great

ATB ferretmad.

The old saying is try and miss it in front ie swing well through the goose and maintain a good lead before firing,ideally you will then hit it in the head or neck, a gooses vital organs are well protected by breast and bone and can take a lot of shot the wings look huge but the bones are only a small part of the wing, a goose may look huge when in range but they also fly faster than you think,add to this the exitement of your morning flight and its easy to miss, but when you walk out onto the marsh in the dark,settle in your hide listen to the sound of the foreshore waking up,then spot the geese out on the mud, you get a buzz, the geese lift and head in your direction climbing as they come, will they wont they you may get a shot you might not but you will love it,

• Like 2

Treat him like a small bird. You don't want to look at the body. Lead the head and neck as if that's the bit you want to hit. With steel shot you'll be wasting your time firing at anything else. Keep on swingin as said before there deceptively fast, a Canada goose can make 10 yards on every wing beat so no matter how close he is when you stand up in five seconds time he's outa range. It doesn't matter how many people give you advice on shooting these big birds, it will take you a few flocks to settle your head and take on board what you've been told. It can be hard not to stand up pick the biggest part of the closest goose boom boom boom and nothin down!! Atb Mark

Another tip it's hard but remain hidden till the last moment possible, especially on the marsh its hard to get in a good shooting position as they will see you and bugger off 100 yards to your left or right. Wait till they are nearly on you then take your shot. It's really challenging as you don't get many chances when wildfowling and even now after many years I still get a huge blood rush when the're coming towards me.

Also if you are going to use a goose call really spend time and learn to use it, some good DVDs available and clips on you tube, don't make the mistake of blowing away like a trumpet.

Good luck mate

hello fella . as said above keep your head down for as long as you can and no bobbing your head up and down . they will spot you a mile of. wait till you can smell the sage/onion cooking lol. till you get used to shooting them at the end of the day do some field craft and watch the skiens over a couple of days then get under them if you can. hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Its all too easy to get carried away when you here the call of the Goose coming toward you, you can think they are right on top of you when they are not so keep your cool, and as said don't get up too soon, easier said than done but with practice you will learn when you have missed a few through being impatient. The best advise is when you rise pick out one Goose forget the rest until your first is shot, then follow on to the next if you have time. never get into your mind that I'm going to get a right and left, settle for the one always, the next is a bonus. Look at the head nothing else swing through pulling 4 Barrel widths passed at 30 yards keeping the swing moving then shoot. You can get the sight picture by using a tennis ball this is roughly the same area as the head of a Goose, set it up against a board 30 and 40 yards away, measure the width of the Barrel 4 times past the ball, at 30 yards, 5 at 40 yards. Use something you can see at the distances your checking, walk out to the distances and place the Barrels on the outside of the last mark, try to get that image imprinted in your mind. Then when you do it for real you will know were you are then shoot but remember keep the swing going to match the speed, same applies S/S or O/U: Dave

im starting out on the marshes hopefully this season with a extra bonus of going up to Scotland on the tay with a friend. his tip for shooting the geese was to blank out their head with the end of the barrel because if you miss the head you have still got the rest of the body to hit.

is this theory correct or is there other techniques?

all help would be great

ATB ferretmad.

im no expert, but aim and shoot helps me..................... :icon_redface:

What other birds do you shoot? My advice is too do exactly what you would do shooting a pigeon or a pheasant. Get the gun up and get swinging. If you start altering swing and trying to aim here and there you'll be going home empty handed and worse you might injure a few birds never to be seen again. As said let them come close, sit tight and surprise them...... :thumbs:

What other birds do you shoot? My advice is too do exactly what you would do shooting a pigeon or a pheasant. Get the gun up and get swinging. If you start altering swing and trying to aim here and there you'll be going home empty handed and worse you might injure a few birds never to be seen again. As said let them come close, sit tight and surprise them...... :thumbs:

there was me thinking you were thick ....................lol an encyclopedia of knowledge under that user name :thumbs:

there was me thinking you were thick ....................lol an encyclopedia of knowledge under that user name :thumbs:

No just a pretty face ye ken............ :bye: