Out with

breeze

Was asked to try and clear a few rabbit's for some one the other day, so last night had a crack at them with the longnet's. Never really that dark at this time of the year, but with a bit of wind blowing gave it a go....

Managed to get a few...

Moley.... Alway's use the quick set type mate, well I say alway's just usually use them mostly while out ferreting during the winter month's, only used them at night an handfull of times. But when this patch of land cropped up was the perfect oppurtunity to have another bash....

After saying that... I like to see a well set net by using the tradional way, didn't you put a pic up a few week's ago of such a way ????

I put up a thread back in late December about making a hand made net called Keeping traditional skills alive. From about the age of 12 (25YRS+NOW) i was taught to use long nets at night in the trad way with end pins, but the las2 yrs i use manely baskets but i do prefer the trad way of using them when i get the chance. Its nice to see after all these yrs the long net is making a come back in poplurarity but if some of us dont keep using the trad set nets the skill needed to set in this way will sadly die out. Dont get me wrong, im all for advancement but i also like to keep the old skills alive ;)

Moley.... Alway's use the quick set type mate, well I say alway's just usually use them mostly while out ferreting during the winter month's, only used them at night an handfull of times. But when this patch of land cropped up was the perfect oppurtunity to have another bash....

After saying that... I like to see a well set net by using the tradional way, didn't you put a pic up a few week's ago of such a way ????

Goodonya breeze for giving the 'night net' a trip out... :clapper:

My old Field Sports supplies company,..'Moucher Products' was the first one to sell the 'fixed pole' method of longnetting ( as devised by Glenn Waters )...so,.I always pushed this style of long netting,..and when the 'basket' system that I first saw demonstrated by the West Dorset netmaker Keith Prior,.decades ago,..came back into popularity,.well,.the Long Net business fair took off,..and about fecking time,.eh... :laugh::laugh:

The most proficient handlers of the 'easy set' basket method that I have ever seen are,..Simon Whitehead and Mike the Dog,.followed by Alan Salmon,...these old boys can run a net out like a USA sprinter :victory: Personally,..I still use the traditional method,.especially in woodland areas during the daytime,..

When out at night, I've gotta admit,..the modern way is pretty slick,..and takes some beating,..but,..I still enjoy using the end pins, hazel wands and hemp meshes,..gotta keep the faith .... ;)

All the best,.and good netting,...regards,...CHALKWARREN... :drink:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
Guest WILF

I have to admit I learned myself to use the traditional method and have never used the quic set type........I can run them out and pick them up in no time.....even on the darkest windy night.

Its all in the picking up you know :yes: .........the old hands will know this....it was for the benifit of newbies to the net ;)

,..I still enjoy using the end pins, hazel wands and hemp meshes,..

Chalkwarren,

What are the dimensions of the end pins you use? I am making another couple of shorter stop nets at the moment for this winter and want to get it right this time. I have got a friend with access to the steel rods and welder to make them, so it should just take a phone call and the promise of a cold beer or two once I know how big ;)

OTC