Alone in the Wild.

Don't know if anyone has seen it, but a series, that follows a guy who decides to take himself off to a lake in canada and completely cutr himself off for months, with no contact with the outside world. . . . and film it.

Good watch.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/collections/6-home-of-the-brave

What i like the most about it is, how exciting and great it is at first, and how much he under estimated the psychological impact. Maybe it's worth a watch for some of the folk on here who think it'd be great to live in the wilderness, just one long round of hunting and fishing yer? :laugh:

What i always think about, and what came out in the programme, was that you start to obsess about hurting yourself, everything you do, you think, what if i broke my leg, or even twisted my ankle etc etc. That happens and you are f****d for feeding yourself etc.

Yea spot on jai, sound like bliss. But fall and break a leg or knee cap. Be aswell shooting yourself

You become a wild thing again, and the laws of nature apply to you and your life, i.e you have to think carefully about expenditure of energy, risk etc. So in a true survival situation, you dont take any uneseccary hikes, you cant afford to burn the calories, with no gain from it. I think everything pretty much becomes about feeding yourself, and trying not to break your body, and thats it, over and over every day. So whilst you might want to go and do some hard work to improve your camp, you would need to factor in an increased need for calories before you did so, or it could lead to a spiral that ended in your death. If that makes sense?

Yea I get that. Certainly couldn't go taking chances that's for sure.

Nope, and everything has to be thought through a few times before you have a go, as you cant really afford to waste the energy / resources.

You certainly wouldnt cut the fat off your meat as well. :laugh:

There's quite a good futuristic book called Refuge, by Richard Herley. Takes place in the UK after a plague wipes out most people. Told through the eyes of one man: one of his many concerns is keeping himself safe and healthy when there are no doctors, dentists etc. It's a thriller, but a very different angle to most survivalist stories. Not a bad read.

Yea spot on jai, sound like bliss. But fall and break a leg or knee cap. Be aswell shooting yourself

You become a wild thing again, and the laws of nature apply to you and your life, i.e you have to think carefully about expenditure of energy, risk etc. So in a true survival situation, you dont take any uneseccary hikes, you cant afford to burn the calories, with no gain from it. I think everything pretty much becomes about feeding yourself, and trying not to break your body, and thats it, over and over every day. So whilst you might want to go and do some hard work to improve your camp, you would need to factor in an increased need for calories before you did so, or it could lead to a spiral that ended in your death. If that makes sense?

pritty much the same for most of the animal world only we dont have the added problem of having to watch out for predators.