Fleas and other external parasites...A very cheap and effective solution!!

I've found DE to be very effective against both fleas and dust mites: I rub it into my dogs' fur, and they don't sneeze or cough at all. I also use is as a wormer taken internally: a teaspoon per dog per day: I still use normal wormers, but only as and when I see signs of worms (worm segments in shit, poor coat, bad breath etc) I've certainly noticed a decrease in worms in my dogs since I started using DE. Also use it on the chickens against mites, and didn't have to spray the chicken house with chemicals at all since using it: previously I had a bad problem with red mite. And no, I don't have shares in DE!

:laugh: as i said i used on all my birds when i had them, but found it caused the dogs to sneeze and cough :thumbs: perhaps my dogs are sensitive :laugh:

probaly too used to being down the bottom of the shed being stroked and watching there master on the computer all hours of the day instead of getting worked!!!

the blokes trying to give good info about DE because alot of people dont know about it! but where's always 1 desktop warrior who's been there done that fcuking know it all! everyone should have this for there dogs its 100% organic...........rant over

its summer, its 26 deg and the dogs are fecked from last season :thumbs: there is no evidence that it actually works on dogs :thumbs: yes i tried it and it wasnt for me as i stated. desktop warrior thats a first. by the way i dont have a desk im on he laptop is your name steve :laugh:you might like to read the safety data sheet for it aswell

Safety considerations

The absorbent qualities of diatomite can result in a significant drying of the hands if handled without gloves. The flux-calcined form contains a highly crystalline form of silica, resulting in sharp edges. The sharpness of this version of the material makes it dangerous to breathe and a dust mask is recommended when working with it.

The type of hazard posed by inhalation depends on the form of the silica. Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Amorphous silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk as crystalline silica. Natural or dried diatomite generally contains very low percentages of crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcining) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form.

The crystalline silica content of the dust's particulate is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers.[19]

baw- I have not been on this site for long but I know one thing...you make me laugh out loud when no one is around and it's getting pretty regular, thanks!

paulus- Good info. I've been talking to some of the cattle farmers around here and some of them have been putting it in their feed for years and swear by it. Your dead on about the crystaline form though. Good reporting.

I'm going to put up another thread about H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) which is also very cheap to use. If you read through the applications for cattle, you can cross all that over to dogs as well. Another natural product that does wonders for the dogs and is extra cheap!

baw- I have not been on this site for long but I know one thing...you make me laugh out loud when no one is around and it's getting pretty regular, thanks!

paulus- Good info. I've been talking to some of the cattle farmers around here and some of them have been putting it in their feed for years and swear by it. Your dead on about the crystaline form though. Good reporting.

I'm going to put up another thread about H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) which is also very cheap to use. If you read through the applications for cattle, you can cross all that over to dogs as well. Another natural product that does wonders for the dogs and is extra cheap!

hydrogen peroxide is an active ingredient in a good few insecticidal products here have a read http://www.treshanle...e57/page57.html

I've found DE to be very effective against both fleas and dust mites: I rub it into my dogs' fur, and they don't sneeze or cough at all. I also use is as a wormer taken internally: a teaspoon per dog per day: I still use normal wormers, but only as and when I see signs of worms (worm segments in shit, poor coat, bad breath etc) I've certainly noticed a decrease in worms in my dogs since I started using DE. Also use it on the chickens against mites, and didn't have to spray the chicken house with chemicals at all since using it: previously I had a bad problem with red mite. And no, I don't have shares in DE!

:laugh: as i said i used on all my birds when i had them, but found it caused the dogs to sneeze and cough :thumbs: perhaps my dogs are sensitive :laugh:

probaly too used to being down the bottom of the shed being stroked and watching there master on the computer all hours of the day instead of getting worked!!!

the blokes trying to give good info about DE because alot of people dont know about it! but where's always 1 desktop warrior who's been there done that fcuking know it all! everyone should have this for there dogs its 100% organic...........rant over

:laugh:

post-24454-0-06604000-1337933990.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Tried it several times for the poultry and it does not prevent mites, it MAY decrease the numbers slightly, but wont get rid of the problem.

I am on several poultry forums and all the poultry keepers in this country say the same.

And treating birds without also treating the housing is a waste of time, just a temporary resolution to a bigger problem.

Never tried it on the dogs, never needed to because stronghold does the job when needed.