Accessories ?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest JohnGalway

Parker Hale make a good coated rod, think mine was 28 Euro.

KG12 Big Bore Cleaner is what I use, no ammonia in it which some say is a good thing.

Edited by JohnGalway

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO prob's ditch, best of luck wit da shopping. As for the bullet wallet, Any gun dealer worth his salt should be able to get you one. IF not let me know i'll try an get one if ye fail, Let us know when you get pimped up. :clapper: the make of the wallet i have is THE deer trail

i have pics but cant seem to get them from photobucket to my reply. Any help.

DS,

If you feel the need for a bipod, look at the "Shooter's Ridge" brand if it's available there. All the quality of Harris for 1/3 less cost. Beats having to look for a fencepost or tree for a rest. The dang things are never where you really need 'em.

Also, on the Boresnakes - I love mine. A quick slide through the bore a time or two after an evening out, then wipe the gun down with some Hoppes and it's good until the next time out. Wash the snake in soapy water, rinse, and let it air dry every dozen or two uses.

If you pull the bolt and drop the cord from the chamber end you don't have to worry about the barrel crown. You should be inserting any cleaning device from that end anyway, even rods. Our USMC shooters here in the You SA have gone to the Boresnakes for general use. Must say something about 'em.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Cheers for that, Snaps. Yeppers, very much as what I'm getting :) One I'm after is made by Garland. I've just come back from asking if it'll hold .22 Hornet rounds. Imagine it will do? If so, I'll have it. Real Tree cammo or green. Not overly fussed really. I'm getting the one with the clasp as I despise velcro! Tenner. Can't argue with that ;)

Picking up my (Moderated) rifle tomorrow. Dean's going over so taking me with him. Then it's back here to zero it and us two are having a shooting match! :D I'll let ye know how that goes tomorrow night!

Ooh! Did I tell ye; I got my CluLite last night?! Got the " Shootalite 2 " one, like Dean has. I Know it's a muvvaf*kka because I've seen Dean's one in action! Not long now and I'll be out there, prowling :yes:

:) Ok. I have my .22 Hornet. Moderator's the subject of another post here. I'm getting a 'scope and buying a CluLite for it, so I can see what I'm looking for. Lazer would be nice; But maybe we could consider so important a piece of kit seperately? Here I want to just ask about bits and pieces.

First thing on my mind then is a sling. Plaited leather seems like a good idea to me. Bit of absorbtion. Save the rifle jarring into my shoulder at every step. Sound alright to you? Or is there, like I had with my Birding 'scope, some new fangled, cushioned, man made thing out there by now? Comments?

Then I have this coffee mug of 48 loose rounds. Frankly, it's just not 'me' to keep live rounds in a dusty mug. I saw, on Google, last night that they do these nifty little boxes. Fifty .22 Hornet round sized holes and snap shut lids on long lasting hinges. Put me down for one of those then!

I always fancied a Bi Pod. Quite a sexy thought, laying there, prone on the juncus. Reallity is that I shoot much better with my left hand braced against a vertical. Plenty of fence posts round my land. No reason for me to go laying about on the deck then. Can't see what I'd gain from a 'pod.

One of those " Bore Worm " things sounds a good idea. This rifle will hardly be worn out by shooting in my life time. But the occassional pull through can only help. Are they as handy as they look?

Mate of mine suggested a 'Cartridge Belt', last night. But he's a shot gunner. As I said to him; I'd be taking five rounds out with me of a night. If I brought four home, I'd be delighted to have made a kill. No reason to have a snagging, sagging extra belt round my waist. Just clutter to catch on things. Though, having said that; I'd like somewhere to put my five rounds, other than my pocket or hat band. Anything exist out there?

Can't really think of anything else myself. Bet some bugger has though ~ and is manufacturing and selling it! Is there anything else You've picked up and discovered to be 'indispensable', or even 'just the job'?

Come on lads; Help a newbie out, eh? ;) What's to know, please?

Ditch check out the American web-sites you can get a nice bi-pod for about 50 euro's delivered.Just google it

check this 1 out

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/s...-pods&noImage=0

Edited by scotrat

how's this hope it works.............cheers ditch.

Who needs moneywhen ye have bullets!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting the one with the clasp as I despise velcro! Tenner. Can't argue with that

I didn't like the velcro one either, as when out shooting if you neededt hat extra round all you hear is the big rip of the velcro. Excelllent you got one can't wait to see the pics :clapper: get one ofthe rifle all tricked out....

Let us see your new baby!!!!!!! :laugh: if you give me velocity and bc.of the bull bullets that you'll be using i'll do you up some bullet drop tables. :thumbs-up:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:D You've asked for this!

I picked her back up today, fully dressed! She now wears a Deben / Hawke 3 - 9 x 40 Scope. I've got the Flip Up covers on that ~ How sexy are they?! :D And an ASE UTRA Moderator. She hangs off my shoulder by a Butler Creek neoprene strap, in plain brown.

Dressed to Kill!

Sadly, the flash photo I took of the Moderator doesn't capture the nice, matt black finish. But it may give an impression of size. which is just 6 3/4" overall:

Quieten Down Now!

Anyway, here's todays story:

Dean and I came back here with the intention of zeroing and having a shoot off. Of course, we'd figured without " The Curse of Pat "! You wouldn't understand what I mean by that. But Dean does. It stems from last year, when Pat asked me to take care of some vermin for him. I agreed and duly bought and set suitable traps. I set them all around a certain field ..... and Pat put his cattle in that same field next day! So I set one by a gate which had been lodged open so long it was grown under ~ and Pat closed it an hour later, wrecking my set! I could go on ..... Ye get the picture?

So, 'obviously' today we got home. Gazed down at the empty field and bog where we planned to fire to. I pointed out Pat's cattle, well to the right. Two fields away in fact. And the couple of someone elses on the far side of the bog. Then I fetched a handful of rounds and said I'd shoot a distant tree, just so Dean could here my baby talk.

Only, even my deaf right ear picked up the sound of Pat's quad. Somewhere far to the right. And my pleading eyes watched his f*cking cattle, moved by the same sound, move relentlessly away to the left. Two fields. To stand right in the line of planned fire!!! :icon_eek: We took a hint and a drive!

Dean took me out to a Real " Bog ". (I'd just point out here that, as I generally assume I'm speaking to an english audiance, when I speak of " Bog ", I just mean low lying, wet, Juncus ridden ground. What ye'd yeself call a 'Bog'. However, here there's a very particular distinction between " Rough, upland pasture ", " Moor " and " Bog ". Today we visited some genuine, Irish Bog. I'll probably show pictures elsewhere, under Nature. Anyway ......

First recognised cock up was that no one had thought how we were going to secure the huge, paper targets I'd bought and brought along! Dean found a sheet of chip board but we had no tape or staples :rolleyes: Blocks of Turf (Peat, freshly hewn from the bog) had to suffice then and we piled those up to jam the paper in place.

Nice bit of craic here is that I walked back and positioned myself where I thought I might start testing my zero from. Dean joined me and confidently stated, " Aye. You're a good 100 yards here. " To which, without concious thought I simply replied, " F*ck off! That's seventy five yards! ". And out came Dean's state of the art and very expensively effective Range Finder. He checked the target. " Seventy six. " was the best defence it left him! :laugh: As I said; " Why have ye paid all that money for that thing when ye have me?! All ye ever do with it is verifie that I'm correct! " :rofl:

Anyway, Dean - having a Rimmy - moved far closer and well and truly to the right and the barrage began. " Clack ". " Kishowwww! " " Clack. " " Kishowwww! ". Dean reported that he was mightily impressed by the report of my piece, even with the mod' fitted. I thought, " You wait till ye hear this bitch without it! "

After a few rounds from me ~ I wouldn't know about Dean as I could barely hear his shots ~ we agreed to go examine the evidence. Seems Dean had scored three, low to the left hits at around four inches from centre. I'd been shooting Bog :rolleyes:

I had a fiddle with my windage and elevation turrets. " Where did They come from?! " screamed Dean. I wasn't at all sure what he was on about as he stared at my scope. So I just said, " Errr ... They're just on there, mate. " It was only when he further raged that he had to use a coin to piss with his screws that I shrugged my realisation that my own scope was made so that I simply turned the dials with my blunt fingers. It has 'handles' on the dials, see? Nice touch ;)

Well, so it went on. I then marked the holes we were seemingly making and put our initials to each. Noting that we now Both seemed to be going low left. Then Dean disputed Who was making all these holes at least on the paper and pointed out where he reckoned he'd shot turf earlier. Away we went again. I then seeing Dean definately shoot turf and that turf dutifully 'falling down dead'.

(For the english: " Turf " ? No. Not the stuff ye make lawns out of. Think wall brick of sticky, black, half dry peat. Quite black it is)

Couple more rounds and I announced I was going to set up my own, seperate target. (I wanted to be sure just who was at least getting closer. And this one was getting a bit ripped and torn). But Dean said he's already decided to go back to his motor and fire from his more customary position, over the roof from his bipod, at something else..

I went back to my, by now newly adopted 100 yard firing point and carried on. And shot like a complete prick. And hit a brickette of turf for myself. Just like Dean had earlier done. And watched, through the scope, in utter amazemenet, as my round 'Blew that turfs brains out!' :icon_eek: My Christ! When Deano's rimmy hit a turf, it slumped over. When I hit one, at 100 yards? Well, god help the foxes skull this bitch connects with! Half the bloody target was instantly Spattered with black! It went up like a f*cking hand grenade! Disintergrating turf splattering everywhere! Yeppers: Lousey zeroing. But I was Mightilly impressed by the carnage she wreaked on that turf! FFS!

At that point I realised I had only three rounds left in my pocket. Having just scooped a handful out of my storage mug - intending to shoot from my doorstep and pop back in for more as needed - I'd forgotten to fetch more when we scarpered. The next three rounds never even touched the target and, having been firing, checking, adjusting and pretty confident I'd soon be blowing bulls and ready to show Dean some Real shooting, I was lost for understanding. I forlornly loosed off the last three. Missed the entire target. And went to find Dean.

It was as we chatted that I, for some reason, touched or looked at the Moderator. It wobbled in my hand! :icon_eek: Yeppers. F*cking thing had worked loose! Dean examined it and even opened it to check the baffles. I stood miserably thinking of not the cost of a new one - after 15 rounds - but the aggro of driving back to Daves! Thankfully, despite a tell tale nip to the edge of the hole, no damage appears to have accrued. Thank F*ck I ran out of rounds, or I may well have gone on to shoot the damn thing off! And so the light began to fade and home we came. Me gutted because now I'll have to start all over again tomorrow! No bog prowling with live rounds and lamp for me tonight then. Just sitting here writing this shit :(

But, every cloud should have a silver lining, eh? I came home. Fed my Dogs and glanced out the kitchen window at my peanut feeder. Wooden box I knocked up to feed the birds and which hangs on a T post, out by the hedge and ditch. And there, large as life, sat a f*cking Rat! Right on top of my bloody feeder! What's a man to do? What would You do? ..... :yes:

I went out there. Popped one into the breech and lined up dead central on the b*stard at seventeen yards. .22 Hornet. Hollow Points. Seventeen yards. (The back drop is safe ;)) I fired, quite without compunction .......... And, in my eager satisfaction, without remembering my last groupage. I should, of course, have aimed a few inches high and right! But I aimed centre and fired.

Well, that's Another little job for me tomorrow. Build a new f*cking bird feeder! :laugh: F*cking rat vanished in a blink. So did half a pound of peanuts and my f*cking feeder! I blew the whole damn lot to kingdom come! :rofl: Round passed straight through the 1/4" mesh front without snapping a wire. It then struck the inch thick board at the back - god alone knows what it did to the peanuts! - and smashed the whole shebang to pieces!

Interesting bit is the rat! I actually heard him squealing and moaning from down amongst the thick vegetation round the ditch. Even heard a plop as he hit the water as I poked around for him. I reckon he took a splinter of wood in the guts. How lucky was that then? Except for him! But the light was going and I couldn't find him. Not with bare hands, amongst stinging nettles. I'll send Small Dog on a recce tomorrow. See if she can find him. He's not healthy now, that's for sure ;) 'Mind you; Nor is the state of my bloody Feeder :rolleyes:

Oh well. Tomorrow's another day. I'll check the moderator every five rounds from now on and shall ensure it's tightly scewed on. Get her zeroed and I'll almost undoubtedly be out in the early hours. Lamped up and ready to rock. Only I'll be looking for more than just rats! Stay tuned! :yes:

Retrospectively edited to say: There ye go, P&G. How's That for Enthusiasm?! :clapper:

WELL done on getting yer kit there ds.

sorry to hear you were'nt able to go an find charlie :( she looks sweet, get a large sheet of paper for your target an even start of, with a fifty yard zero, once achieved move out to one hundred, then fire three shots go an take a look at the target, adjust accordingly, :hmm: more photos please, :) i still think a bi-pod would suit you. whenever you saved up you might get one, i'll swear by them hope you done the right thing and administered first aid to the bog!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: sound like shes shot to shit........

better luck on your second outing, try for fifty yard zero should get you on paper then for one hundred.....

will save you ammo :blink:

just came back from the bit of scrub i shoot at and achieved this before the rain put a damper on things!!!!!!

5 shots at 100 yards... :D

the circle is 1 inch in dia.

:thumbs-up:

Ditch your a legend. If you ever write a book put me down for one of the first copies :clapper: Im glad youve finally got your rifle home. I can see there is going to a few more decent threads up on the site very shortly. :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: