Accessories ?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:) Ok. I have my .22 Hornet. Moderator's the subject of another post here. I'm getting a 'scope and buying a CluLite for it, so I can see what I'm looking for. Lazer would be nice; But maybe we could consider so important a piece of kit seperately? Here I want to just ask about bits and pieces.

First thing on my mind then is a sling. Plaited leather seems like a good idea to me. Bit of absorbtion. Save the rifle jarring into my shoulder at every step. Sound alright to you? Or is there, like I had with my Birding 'scope, some new fangled, cushioned, man made thing out there by now? Comments?

Then I have this coffee mug of 48 loose rounds. Frankly, it's just not 'me' to keep live rounds in a dusty mug. I saw, on Google, last night that they do these nifty little boxes. Fifty .22 Hornet round sized holes and snap shut lids on long lasting hinges. Put me down for one of those then!

I always fancied a Bi Pod. Quite a sexy thought, laying there, prone on the juncus. Reallity is that I shoot much better with my left hand braced against a vertical. Plenty of fence posts round my land. No reason for me to go laying about on the deck then. Can't see what I'd gain from a 'pod.

One of those " Bore Worm " things sounds a good idea. This rifle will hardly be worn out by shooting in my life time. But the occassional pull through can only help. Are they as handy as they look?

Mate of mine suggested a 'Cartridge Belt', last night. But he's a shot gunner. As I said to him; I'd be taking five rounds out with me of a night. If I brought four home, I'd be delighted to have made a kill. No reason to have a snagging, sagging extra belt round my waist. Just clutter to catch on things. Though, having said that; I'd like somewhere to put my five rounds, other than my pocket or hat band. Anything exist out there?

Can't really think of anything else myself. Bet some bugger has though ~ and is manufacturing and selling it! Is there anything else You've picked up and discovered to be 'indispensable', or even 'just the job'?

Come on lads; Help a newbie out, eh? ;) What's to know, please?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnGalway

Sling, Butler Creek Comfort Stretch with Uncle Mikes QD sling swivels already sown in. Extremely good.

For 5 rounds, they make a neoprene cover for the rifle stock that has five or so loops sown into the side for sliding shotgun or rifle cartridges into. Handy & quiet though you may want to check them for size in regard to hornet bullet.

Harris engineering make the best bipods.

If you're going to use a bore snake, or worm?, becareful of the crown on your rifle. I wouldn't use one but know lots who do. I prefer the rod and patch type cleaning but never had a hornet so know sfa about them.

When you get your scope, if you find your eye is low on the stock for looking through the scope you could get a Beartooth comb raising kit. Raises up the bit you put your cheek too and is removeable.

Butler creek to good flip up/open scope caps, protect from rain, scrapes dirt etc.

Are those Sportsmatch mounts I see? Have them on my Quad, I like them.

Rem oil in the spray can with the teflon in it is a good oil I find, use sparingly.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Cheers for all that, John :good:

I've checked out the Butler Creek slings. Do for me, mate! My 'scope sling was Neoprene ~ I now remember. Does what it says on the can, doesn't it?! This isn't a heavy rifle by any means, so one of those things will virtually make it dissapear. I'll see if Dave holds them (amazing what he does cram into his little hallway of a shop!), or else I have them pinned down on the Bay ;)

Now, the one's on the Bay are available with or without swivels. I found some plastic, silent swivels on there too. So, if I can't get those Uncle Mikes ones, I know where to get something similar.

Do very much like the sound of the flip up scope covers too! I was sat out in the pouring rain for an hour today, waiting for a clear shot at my Hoodies. Could easily have crucified a scope! Oh, and are mine Sportsmatch mounts? Wouldn't have a clue, mate. Whipped them off, so I can see the field sights, and put them in the bottom of my cabinet.

I found the stock mounted ammo holders too. But I've decided I don't like that idea. Not sure why. Can't give a valid reason for rejecting it, but I am. Instead I've found belt mounted ones. Even found one with a little plastic squeeze catch - as opposed to bloody velcro - on the cover. That'll do for me. Takes fourteen rounds so I'll only need fill one side of it or less. Maybe, if I ever decide on what's to be my regular shooting jacket, I could sew it onto the left breast of that? Be handy that way.

Now, one other thing that's really got me thinking: FAC Covers / Cases. We're 'encouraged' to carry our chits with our rifles. I'd certainly sooner have mine to hand than have to fetch a Gard home to see it. But, whilst I found two such, they were for uk / ni chits. Ours is a weird and quite big size, isn't it? Know anyone, over here, who supplies ones for our size of FAC, please?

I'll be back at Dave's in a day or two. Take my rifle back for the moderator threading and fitting. I'll have a good dig about and see what, of what I want, he has there. Just trying to sort out what I do want so I can make notes in my little black book. Terrible memory and so need to write such shit down

Thanks again :)

Macnas; I could probably just pop a couple of rounds in my mouth, mate. They're copper topped. But, knowing me, I'd try to light one and blow my own f*cking head off! :laugh:

Guest Frank

:D Fist off, congratulations on your new rifle. :clapper:

Now, you need a good scope for that yolk, so for starters, Hawk, Simmons, bushnell do a good range and are reasonable in price.

Try and shoot with a scope on first, much more accurate.

As for cleaning, a Parker Hale, plastic coated rod, is hard to beet, get one in .22 size.

Patches, that will fit your caliber fo cleaning, copper solvent, Hoppes benchrest is good, so is forrest foam, leave the forrest foam in for 24 hrs then patch out.

The most inportant thing you need when cleaning, so as not to damage bore is a bore guied.

Basicly, you need a GOOD cleaning kit and being out in the rain for an hour, will not help it, if you dont clean it straight away and oil it. :icon_eek:

Before even etempting to go out shooting live quarry, zero your rifle, with a .22 Hornet, this should be 1 inch high, at a 100 yds, this will give you a kill zone out to around 180 yds, ideal killing range for Hornet. This also depends on what brand of ammo your using?

Practice and more practice, is the key to sucsess. ;)

Looking farward to seeing pics of dead vermin. :D

Below, is some usefull links:

http://www.answers.com/topic/22-hornet

http://www.huntingmag.com/guns_loads/22_hornet/

http://www.fishandhunttexas.com/22_hornet.htm

Good luck,

Frank.

good on ya mate, ya got ya gun.

franks right get that smoke stick out and see how it shoots, my advise is get a scope on it and then get some loading gear as the little hornet is cheap as chips to load. even better if you can find a mate to keep you in reloaded ammo. i would be keen to see the groups you get out of ya rifle.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:) Cheers again, lads. I'm hoping to get back over to Dave's tonight and shall get all I can sorted there and then. Bits and pieces to major kit ;) Thing that guts me is I'll be taking my beloved little rifle back! :cry: He reckons he'll need her for a couple of days, to thread her and fit the moderator. I'll be absolutely desperate here!

Got up today and, even as I'm getting dressed, I'm looking out the window at the Hoodie. B*stard's mincing around on my field! thirty five yards away from me and a perfect line of fire! Time I got to the cabinet and opened the door? No where to be seen. I should've done the proper Western bit; Smashed the muzzle through my window and opened up on him! :laugh:

Oh and don't worry, Frank. Having had guns before mate, I knew what to do ;) Soon as I stepped back inside I had a dry towel all over the rifle, even as I was still dripping. And I have half a gallon of 'loose' WD40 here too. Gave her a good and thorough wiping down with that. Brought her up better than she was, actually. Pulled some old grime off.

Kiwi; As I understand it mate, from my earlier researches into this particular rifle, the NEF Handy Hornet isn't the most extremely accurate round placer known to man. They seem to reckon ye should look for 1/2" at 180 yards and be grateful. Well, I'm a carefull shot and, if I can get the scope to achieve such a grouping then any fox I fire at it going to lose it's mind. Simple as that. I used to do a bit of Taxidermy and am intimately aquainted with the size and positioning of a foxes brain. Give me a half inch group and I'll give you a misty spray of pink vapour :D

Anyway. Been a full year since I held a gun. Bloody marvellous to be through that horrible period of impotance. This time next week I should hope to be discussing my groupings with ye. Then, with my CluLite fitted and charged, the call of that bog at night will see me vanishing from this place at the strangest times! :yes:

well ditch, now your getting tricked out i have just two questions two ask!!!!!

1) did you win the lotto?

2) did the credit union take a hit? :laugh: :whistle: :whistle: :laugh:

firstly i'd go for the PLANO AIRGLIDE case for your gun and scope it straps your gun to the case on foam cussions.

Plus it will take your mod and scope in as well, handy for storage. retails at around 55 to 60 euros excellent for the car as your scope is protected.

I'd also highly recommend the butler creek scope covers retail around 30 euros for the two.

harris bi-pods, swivel type, 9 to 12 inches excellent but expensive at around 130 euro :icon_eek:

bore snake is handy to take with you for a quick clean retail around 30 euro..... hope you haven't fainted yet :laugh: NOW as for where to put your rounds i use a wallet type holder which has a belt loop very handy

and holds 10 rounds retail 15 euro. if you can get a one piece cleaning rod fibreglass is good but hard to get.

would also recommend a lens pen for cleaning your objectives whenever they get a bit dirty. retail 10 euro but worth every penny. ONE tip i'll also give you out in the field is to put insulating tape over the end of your barrel so if it falls in the dirt the shit doesn't go up your barrel clogging it...... :angry: hasn't happened to me but to plenty of people i know. while out stalking at 6 in the morning :cry: you can shot with the tape on the barrel and it won't effect accuracy.... :yes: hope this helps. Now tell the misses your going shopping for a change :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: good luck also 50 round case box is MTM CASEGARD retail about 6 euro each. hope this doesn't put you over budget. :victory:

Guest JohnGalway
firstly i'd go for the PLANO AIRGLIDE case for your gun and scope it straps your gun to the case on foam cussions.

Plus it will take your mod and scope in as well, handy for storage. retails at around 55 to 60 euros excellent for the car as your scope is protected.

Careful with what case you get. If ya get one.

I reckon my rifle is a bit bigger (not getting into a measuring contest here...) but from when I put the MTC Viper (great scope) on top of it the airglide won't close (I know for certain if/when I mod my Tikka it won't fit at all). It's also a PITFA (pain in the ....... ass) for falling over on it's side (not a good thing) on any bit of an unlevel surface, especially back seats!

Pillarlock also make a decent case. Sit the gun into it on it's side, gets surrounded in foam (I'd rather the airglide if it were bigger and didn't have vertigo).

Scope it up, mod it up and then get the proper size by trying the rifle in them, if you can.

(I own both of those cases by the way).

Edited by JohnGalway

Careful with what case you get. If ya get one.

I reckon my rifle is a bit bigger (not getting into a measuring contest here...) but from when I put the MTC Viper (great scope) on top of it the airglide won't close (I know for certain if/when I mod my Tikka it won't fit at all). It's also a PITFA (pain in the ....... ass) for falling over on it's side (not a good thing) on any bit of an unlevel surface, especially back seats!

Pillarlock also make a decent case. Sit the gun into it on it's side, gets surrounded in foam (I'd rather the airglide if it were bigger and didn't have vertigo).

Scope it up, mod it up and then get the proper size by trying the rifle in them, if you can.

(I own both of those cases by the way).

JOHN no prob's mate, but i think you get a few differant sizes of plano, i can fit my tikka with leupold scope with m1 turrets which are high and a t8 mod into the case with room to spare. they do fall over but i just prop a coat or something in front and problem sovled........ :D my case measures 51 inches long and 12 inches high and i checked that the rifles fitted in them before i bought, which is always a good idea :victory: keep it real
Guest Ditch_Shitter
I'm not getting at you here Ditch Shitter but why are your posts always so long mate :cry: ,it puts me of reading them although i do like to read them when they are a bit shorter :yes:, hope i haven't upset you here? ;)

Enthusiasm for my subject, sir! :D And I respect you far too much to be 'upset' by you; Rest assured!

I like to 'debrief' an experiance fully, so the reader knows exactly what I'm on about. Equelly, I answer questions as fully. It's because I enjoy the discussions, feed from them. And I enjoy a Good meal. As importantly, I hope the silent reader may learn by the discussions I provoke ;)

Anyway. That should be enough for you now? The rest of this post will be directed at the other discussion I've drawn in others and may well go on some! :laugh: Please give us some more of ye own stuff. It's what I look foreward to most! :good:

well ditch, now your getting tricked out i have just two questions two ask!!!!!

1) did you win the lotto?

2) did the credit union take a hit? :laugh: :whistle: :whistle: :laugh:

Not at all, mate. What I've done is sell off a life times investment in another 'Hunting' related interest. Now, rather than fritter away the proceeds ~ as I'm rather prone to doing! ~ I'm controlling and directing my urges and re investing the cash in a second 'investment'. In this case, the best tools I can reasonably aquire and afford for a further aspect of my job. That's all. I could've scratched about for the funds, taken years, died unfulfilled. As it is, I want to enjoy a new experiance and, because it's all new, I'm seeking you lots more experianced views as I shop :)

firstly i'd go for the PLANO AIRGLIDE case for your gun and scope it straps your gun to the case .....

Etc. Only I don't need a case. As said above; The Gun Slip I required and aquired was just to move the rifle from the shop to the taxi - without causing alarm - and then the same for my planned visit to my Local, on the way home. From now on I simply open my front door, carrying my naked rifle, and start looking for a target. All quite legal ;) Thanks for the opinions, which may well guide others anyway.

I'd also highly recommend the butler creek scope covers retail around 30 euros for the two.

Consider those 'Next' on my list! I discussed scopes, with Dave, tonight. Seemingly intent on saving me money, he suggested I might get away with a given scope. I saw the flaws (I've been doing my research!) and asked about the 'next one up'. Thus I'm now looking at what may prove to be a helluvva tool. Off to Google presently to research that one ;)

harris bi-pods, swivel type, 9 to 12 inches excellent but expensive at around 130 euro :icon_eek:

bore snake is handy to take with you for a quick clean retail around 30 euro..... hope you haven't fainted yet :laugh:

Had I needed a Bi Pod, I may well have just passed out, yes! Had I not noted the apparrent quality and price of those things on sites last night! My god! Aren't they pricey?! Thankfully, I shoot best from a vertical supportive brace and - electric fenced notwithstanding - there's plenty of those round here! So I don't want a 'pod. And the Bore Snake, thanks to John and you, can hiss off too. I'll find a fibreglass rod!

NOW as for where to put your rounds i use a wallet type holder which has a belt loop very handy

and holds 10 rounds retail 15 euro.

Where from, please??? Sounds exactly what I've been searching for! :icon_eek:

Would also recommend a lens pen for cleaning your objectives whenever they get a bit dirty. retail 10 euro but worth every penny.

Consider one on order! I use reading glasses and have handled 'scopes before. I always found relying on the 'optic rag' in ones pocket ends up f*cking the glass more than helping the situation. I'd also seen those pens and was meaning to consider them further.

50 round case box is MTM CASEGARD retail about 6 euro each. hope this doesn't put you over budget. :victory:

Doubt it. Though this f*cking scope may push the boundries of my diet somewhat! MTM are the very boxes that made me ask about them! Dave doesn't stock any such boxes right now, but said he could get some in :good: I'll see what he comes up with. I just like doing things a bit half right, from the start, ye see? Get the right kit and there's really nothing else left to blame but yeself! :yes: