Piking canals...

whenever I go fishing, I seem to catch what I intend to (species wise), except, for when i go piking. despite having hundreds of lures and going piking a lot with lures, i have 6 to mine name (fishing all my life, 17 years) 5 of which, are beneath 1lb with the 6th being a 6lb'er. today i found a sleeping bag, and tent in my attic and have decided this weekend, i am going night fishing in an attempt to beat my 6lb record.

My plan is to take 4 rods and fish alternately, 2 in water at a time.

1 for live baits

1 for dead baits

1 for lures and the other to catch bait.

so, for canal pike, what would you suggest in regards to bait, rigs, best looking swims etc.

whenever I go fishing, I seem to catch what I intend to (species wise), except, for when i go piking. despite having hundreds of lures and going piking a lot with lures, i have 6 to mine name (fishing all my life, 17 years) 5 of which, are beneath 1lb with the 6th being a 6lb'er. today i found a sleeping bag, and tent in my attic and have decided this weekend, i am going night fishing in an attempt to beat my 6lb record.

My plan is to take 4 rods and fish alternately, 2 in water at a time.

1 for live baits

1 for dead baits

1 for lures and the other to catch bait.

so, for canal pike, what would you suggest in regards to bait, rigs, best looking swims etc.

i just mooch along wobbling a smelt in weedy looking places :thumbs:

i agree with paulus, get the smelliest dead bait you can find, then buy some predator plus slit the fish or whatever deadbait your using a little bit pour some in and look the for places that are awkward to fish, also look out for big shoals of fish especially roach there's always a pike not too far from them :) good luck pal

ATB kyle

One of the best way's to tackle canal pike is to find a likely looking spot, and put two bait's in the area, after twenty minute's decide which way you are going in and leapfrog your rod's one at a time, another twenty minute's, one rod move's up the canal and so on till you find the fish. Also you can cast a bait out sink and draw style, cast bait to far side at an angle then slowly walk along canal till bait has come in to nearside, then cast again and keep doing it till you find the fish, then really search the area.Good luck, :thumbs:

I have only just noticed where your from, sorry mate, what area mate, that canal can be hard work, i haven't put that much time into it, i used to go to the bridgewater in runcorn when i'd go on a canal, but by ormskirk there seem's to be plenty, just seem's to be full of jack's, but all along you should find pike, you will catch bigger than you have had, i seen a 21lb come out, was about 8 years ago now, and it wasn't me, there are plenty up to double figure's, over that not as many or harder to find, i keep saying i am going to really have a full winter on it, but alway's end up going elsewhere, hope to beat that 21 one day. :laugh::toast:

west derby im in. all the fish below 1lb i have caught have been in Liverpool leads, the lb er was in the Bridgewater at warrington. but it seems abit too built up for camping overnight and its mostly club run. biggest i've seen in there was about 30lb at the very start of the canal by scotland road, seen it take a 5lb (ish) tench under the water, tried hooking it with a spinner, no chance lol

the very start by scotland road is very good for perch on lures and has a number of big pike, but am i fook camping by scotland road lol

Guest bullterrier

west derby im in. all the fish below 1lb i have caught have been in Liverpool leads, the lb er was in the Bridgewater at warrington. but it seems abit too built up for camping overnight and its mostly club run. biggest i've seen in there was about 30lb at the very start of the canal by scotland road, seen it take a 5lb (ish) tench under the water, tried hooking it with a spinner, no chance lol

the very start by scotland road is very good for perch on lures and has a number of big pike, but am i fook camping by scotland road lol

theres a few coming out around the bootle end when your fishing your dead baits keep firing a few maggots around your dead baits now and again to attract the silvers the pike will soon find your baits theres also some coming out of princess park mate atb :thumbs: john

I know mate, i wouldn't camp there and i live right by it, your best bet is hit it early morning, till about 11-12 then it's finished till an hour before dark.Sometime's i have drove up to ormskirk and fished it there and further up, it's empty, don't see a sole, plenty of place's to put a bivvy up, you are just left alone to fish your sock's off.

Guest bullterrier

Is that where your from bull, bootle.

no anfield mate

ive fished princess and a fella caught a jack on pole (took a roach he caught). my mate lives on sylvester street and whenever i've been fishing there, theres been trouble. just not somewhere i would camp lol.

sorry mate never seen the camping bit :laugh: i dont pike fish as much now but have had plenty takeing my roach while match fishing on the cannal :thumbs:

Is that where your from bull, bootle.

no anfield mate

ive fished princess and a fella caught a jack on pole (took a roach he caught). my mate lives on sylvester street and whenever i've been fishing there, theres been trouble. just not somewhere i would camp lol.

sorry mate never seen the camping bit :laugh: i dont pike fish as much now but have had plenty takeing my roach while match fishing on the cannal :thumbs:

Your only up the road mate.