can you keep buidges in with quail

I take it they panic when they see you? Why dont you try whistling to let them know your coming. Works with pheasants............. :thumbs:

there really skittish mate, when i was breeding for hawk food i built a 3 tier hutch arrangement with a slope towards the front for the eggs to roll down they were only 9" high.and dont put them in with chickens like i did :laugh: fookers killed and ate them :laugh:

I take it they panic when they see you? Why dont you try whistling to let them know your coming. Works with pheasants............. :thumbs:

there really skittish mate, when i was breeding for hawk food i built a 3 tier hutch arrangement with a slope towards the front for the eggs to roll down they were only 9" high.and dont put them in with chickens like i did :laugh: fookers killed and ate them :laugh:

I know someone that usually breeds a few. Knew they were great little egg layers but i never knew they were skittish.... :thumbs:

I know someone that usually breeds a few. Knew they were great little egg layers but i never knew they were skittish.... ::most prelific breeding bird in the world, use to incubate 200 at a time in an old turnex incubator and brooder :laugh:

I know someone that usually breeds a few. Knew they were great little egg layers but i never knew they were skittish.... :thumbs:

The more time you spend with them the calmer they get. Your idea makes sense, they tend to spook more when you take them by surprise.

When i get paid i'll be starting an aviary build, with a shed and 'run' attached. It'll be on my allotment so i'm not looking for expensive birds really, finches maybe? Got a rabbit hutch with 5 chinese quail in laying very well, skittish as anything but if you move slowly they'll sit still. Would rats be a problem to quail?

My grandad always had a pair running about in the bottom of his flights, first with the natives and canaries then in with the budgies. Can't ever remember there being a problem with it. :thumbs:

My quail will feed alongside my natives no problem what so ever,never even seen them shoo each other off the mealworm dish.As for rats yes they will and do take quail,i lost all my youngsters my quial raised last year and i searched the aviary high and low for a gap big enough for a rat to get through let alone pull a quail through but couldn't find anything,not even a few feathers but i did have some young rats under the paving slab floor i have,a ferret and a plummer terrier soon saw them off and these days i run a poison bait box 24/7 as if it ain't rats it's fecking mice your'll attract with aviaries.

Fed one pair of quail yesterday and the hen was sitting on my foot waiting for a mealworm from me so they do tame down,just go slowly with them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you keep Budgies with Lovebirds as well .

i wouldent i sold a pair of lovebirds to an old fella who kept budgies in a big flight he introduced the lovebirds which i told him not to he was at my door the next with the pair of lovebirds they had killed 8 of his good show birds :yes: they might be nice to look at but there wicked fuckers when they start espically when theres nest boxes up :thumbs: