I know its called ratcatcher and this may sound stupid but is it actually good for killin rats? what type of range is it best at and would it be any good for occasional shooting in barns n chicken pens,im new to shooting and as all ill be shooting is rats it sounds like a good option,and would I get a good condition 2nd hand one for £100? Thanks in advance atb chris

There's a whole bunch of Ratty fans out there who do great tune ups on them. I have one in the back of the cupboard that still puts out 9.00 ftlb's after years and years of neglect.

It will certainly manage barn shooting and closer ratting. I wouldn't want to use mine further than 20 - 25m but they are great for what they are.

• Like 1

Cheers andy,i wanna buy one as it sounds perfect for what I want as ill be shooting rats n pigeons at no more than 35 yrds,the only thing that puts me off is the co2 as id like a spring rifle,but its a small compromise as apart from that it fits the bill,what would you say are the best pellets to shoot from it?

king ratty is better... but 30 yards is pushing it on pidgions..way pushing it.

look on the net there may still be conversions for them with the old soda streem bottles...

if the police are 'after' you, dont take it to bits, some dood got dun (but in relasion to a drugs bust or summut) because once the the stocks off they classed it as a pistol therefore over the limit.

the AA s410 effert that broke down into a smaller square bag had asimilar hassle in the bigining, but now they wont work at full rifle power with the stock off...

There's a whole bunch of Ratty fans out there who do great tune ups on them. I have one in the back of the cupboard that still puts out 9.00 ftlb's after years and years of neglect.

It will certainly manage barn shooting and closer ratting. I wouldn't want to use mine further than 20 - 25m but they are great for what they are.

My mistake! I meant yards... I used superdomes in mine to reasonable effect. I would recommend, as with any airgun, that if possible the seller provide you with Chrony proof of power to ensure it's legal and what they claim. I have heard of some ratcatchers being as low as 7ftlbs.

Cheers andy,i wanna buy one as it sounds perfect for what I want as ill be shooting rats n pigeons at no more than 35 yrds,the only thing that puts me off is the co2 as id like a spring rifle,but its a small compromise as apart from that it fits the bill,what would you say are the best pellets to shoot from it?

If you can find one for the right price, the King Ratty is a bit more useful than the normal one. A useable bit more power and round 200 shots per bottle from mine but I always change at around 150 just to be sure as when they run out, they run out very fast with little warning.

As for pellets, mine's one of the least pellet-fussy rifles I've ever owned, pretty much any decent quality ammo groups well from mine but if I had to choose a favourite, I'd go for H and N FTTs followed by (as above) RWS Super Domes.

• Like 1

Fantastic little guns if used within their limits

Ferals taken with the king ratty a few years back:

16-02-08_0006.jpg

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/219280-crossman-king-ratcatcher-22-co2-air-rifle-a-pleasently-surprisingly-brilliant-little-gun/page__hl__%2Bking+%2Bratty

I don't know if this is any use to you, but here's a link to a test that my mate Simon (Pianoman) did on mine last year.

Missed that pal, was a good write up! :thumbs: