jills killing kits

'dogger' timestamp='1335855688' post='2597706']

had the same thing happen to me 12/13 kits just about a week old and then all gone cant understand it?

Kelty crunch still has twelve here only thing is shes launching herself at your arm now :laugh:

• Like 1

Some jills just won't tolerate being disturbed, even ones that are well handled and well bonded.

• I've got a separate hutch for the jill in kit that is away from the main group so she doesn't feel threatened.
  • The nest box is completely enclosed and dark with it's own lid, that way when I open the hutch she doesn't get bathed in light. The entrance is via a tube not a hole so she feels extra secure.
  • I've got a camera set up in the nest box, so I can watch over the kits and count them without disturbing her.

Not all of this is necessary, but it helps to stay clear and avoid upsetting the jill.

Some jills just won't tolerate being disturbed, even ones that are well handled and well bonded.

• I've got a separate hutch for the jill in kit that is away from the main group so she doesn't feel threatened.
  • The nest box is completely enclosed and dark with it's own lid, that way when I open the hutch she doesn't get bathed in light. The entrance is via a tube not a hole so she feels extra secure.
  • I've got a camera set up in the nest box, so I can watch over the kits and count them without disturbing her.

Not all of this is necessary, but it helps to stay clear and avoid upsetting the jill.

Thats exactly what i mean, i dont even disturb her nest for the first few weeks, then about two to three weeks in she will come out and eat for longer i will then check up on them, people are to impatient trying to count them and see whats whats in the first day.

Could be a young jill first litter on a learning curve ?.

Any sudden or loud noises ?.

You poking about in the nest box ?.

How many do you want ?.

As its only the first of may the jill will soon be back in season and he could breed her again ,lets hope hes learned his lesson and leaves her alone this time then .

Good idea getting a camera set up in the box. What do you do about the light levels though if your nest box is completely enclosed?? Surely it'd be hard to see them...