Wood Pigeon's On Hawthorn Hedge's.

I have been driving around quite a few country lane's lately and i have noticed load's of woodies on the flailed hawthorn hedge's at the side of the road's..what will they be feeding or doing on these hedge's as i have not noticed them till this year.. :hmm: .

I have been driving around quite a few country lane's lately and i have noticed load's of woodies on the flailed hawthorn hedge's at the side of the road's..what will they be feeding or doing on these hedge's as i have not noticed them till this year.. :hmm: .

collecting sticks for their nests :hmm:
  • Like 1
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Or feeding on the young buds just as the hawthorn coming into leave all birds ive shot in last two weeks have had a mixture of buds and clover.

ATB Cookie

dunno bout that'' i prefer a pasty or a snickers . over a bit of ropey old hedge row lol. but then again i never take food with me when i'm shootin rabbits or stalkin about.., i do take a bitta sgran when im pigeon decoyin though. have a bitta munch in me hide,,lol.

haw blossom and leaf buds are edible for humans too. Quite tasty on a sunny spring morning when you're sat with an air rifle, waiting for bunnies to venture from their warren ;)

you are correct in what you say, the old boys use to call it bread and cheese around this way if memory serves me right, yum yum :yes:

Edited by airbourne

haw blossom and leaf buds are edible for humans too. Quite tasty on a sunny spring morning when you're sat with an air rifle, waiting for bunnies to venture from their warren ;)

you are correct in what you say, the old boys use to call it bread and cheese around this way if memory serves me right, yum yum :yes:

bread and cheese! yes, that was what folk called it! I was struggling to remember it, thanks :)

dunno bout that'' i prefer a pasty or a snickers . over a bit of ropey old hedge row lol. but then again i never take food with me when i'm shootin rabbits or stalkin about.., i do take a bitta sgran when im pigeon decoyin though. have a bitta munch in me hide,,lol.

Can't beat something tasty in the pigeon hide! My mate takes the pee out of me because I have a fold out 3 seater bench seat with a back that I always take pigeon shooting - handy seat between shooters allows space for carts and a brace or two of Chocolate Hobnobs :)

No point not being comfy!

Cheer's folk's.. :victory: ...my thought was they are feeing on the new flower bud's but i am not 100%.

all the hawthorn blossom as gone here they came into leaf and flowered very early this year.

Cheer's folk's.. :victory: ...my thought was they are feeing on the new flower bud's but i am not 100%.

all the hawthorn blossom as gone here they came into leaf and flowered very early this year.

The place i'm seeing them is not far from the scottish boarder's..evrything up there flower's later than further south.. :victory: