How much does wind actually effect the .17hmr

Full value crosswind, 10mph. The bullet will turn with the wind about 3.5 inches at 100yds, and 15.5 inches at 200yds.

What ever you hear to the contrary, all my tests show it better than .22rf in the wind. i.e. less deflection.

Of course this is greater than a cf.

Don't be afraid of the wind, just learn to read it, and then adjust or aim off.

• Like 1

I have been out in very high winds taking head shots at 100yds and aiming straight at them. I find that the wind does not affect it much up to 100yds after that the bullet is loseing power/ speed and more easily affected.

I'm not saying the wind is not affecting the line of the bullet. What I am saying is its not a lot, well not as much as poeple say. If i miss its my fault not the wind lol

• Like 1

The thing is most of the time the wind will be in your face or from an angle, not from the side. This is harder to judge the effect on the bullet. A direct side wind would be eadier, but not often would it be directly from the side, also you have gusty wind.

Wind affects all bullets, so do blades of grass, and temperature. The difference with wind and temperature are that they are a science and are predictable, so can be adjusted for, no matter what the bullet provided the correct input is used in the calculations.

• Like 1

Wind affects all bullets, so do blades of grass, and temperature. The difference with wind and temperature are that they are a science and are predictable, so can be adjusted for, no matter what the bullet provided the correct input is used in the calculations.

nothing can predict a gust of wind only a stable wind can be predicted :thumbs:

I would sugest ingestion has a lot to do with it, if for example one has ingested a particularily high velocity vindaloo, then a sudden onset of wind at point of release could result in ones shot placement being proper fecked. :laugh:

I'll get me coat ! :icon_redface:

• Like 2

nothing can predict a gust of wind only a stable wind can be predicted :thumbs:

Totally agree but that affects all bullets, and with both the hmr and the .22rf you have to be aware of that more than other calibres.

I think sometimes, because people see long range kills with both of these two calibres on you tube, they think that is the norm, and of course it isn't. Reduce the range in the wind and enjoy the long range kills when its still. (or even better when its about 1mph)

Dare I say, that to get a meaningful guide out of what is being said, that wind speed is actually measured. What is considered high winds speed by one is not necessary high wind by another. The 'average' windspeed out here is about 22Kt, high winds are up past 55Kt whilst low winds are about 5-8Kt.

.338. I am not quite sure what you are getting at, but if 2 shooters are next to each other and 1 reads the wind as 15 mph or m/s, and the other reads it as 25mph or m/s, it matters not, provided that they they always use the same data for that given estimation.

The issue comes with "app" shooters, who rely on the technology, but input the wrong data, because they can't read all of the signs.

As you know, winds are rarely constant for the whole trajectory.

Was out last night after rabbits and there were approx 5-7 rabbits sitting at the bottom of a bank at 188m. I am zeroed at 100 but I don't know the drop at ranges past 120m for 17hmr and didn't take any shots. Has anybody a range card for hmr .

Edited by quicksilver

Was out last night after rabbits and there were approx 5-7 rabbits sitting at the bottom of a bank at 188m. I am zeroed at 100 but I don't know the drop at ranges past 120m for 17hmr and didn't take any shots. Has anybody a range card for hmr .

I can send you some tomoz when I get back to my computer.

If you are working with a quarter min of angle scope, work on 16 clicks for 200y, reducing by 2 clicks for each reduction of 10y, back to 150.

i.e.14 clicks at 190, 12 clicks at 180 etc.

This is based on 100m, or 109y zero.

Web site of the rounds you are using. It will be the trajectory of the round/ gem/ load etc