Whippet playing up

Right my uncle has a whippet given him as the owner no longer has time for him he a very well breed dog all paper with him but he was very nervous i have been work with him an hes come around abit but still wont come to me hes always trying to play running away from me and its alway a pain to catch him cause he his lightening fast an will hopefully make a really good ferreting dog any ideas how to get him to come

To me when called hes a about 2 years old and advice would be grateful thanks

Right my uncle has a whippet given him as the owner no longer has time for him he a very well breed dog all paper with him but he was very nervous i have been work with him an hes come around abit but still wont come to me hes always trying to play running away from me and its alway a pain to catch him cause he his lightening fast an will hopefully make a really good ferreting dog any ideas how to get him to come

To me when called hes a about 2 years old and advice would be grateful thanks

Have you tried tempting him with a dog treat ?

Don't grab at him ever, he will loose all trust.

Only let him off the lead in 'safe places' places he wont come to any harm if you cannot get him back for a while. Then i would say it is a combination of ignoring him, getting him a good load of exercise and making yourself very interesting, be it though treats, toys, affection..whatever wroks for him. And always put the lead on gently with loads of praise when you do get him back....don't loose your temper.

• Like 1

Don't grab at him ever, he will loose all trust.

Only let him off the lead in 'safe places' places he wont come to any harm if you cannot get him back for a while. Then i would say it is a combination of ignoring him, getting him a good load of exercise and making yourself very interesting, be it though treats, toys, affection..whatever wroks for him. And always put the lead on gently with loads of praise when you do get him back....don't loose your temper.

Good advice there :thumbs:

The worst thing you can do is lose your temper because the dog will sense this and never come to you.

I once had a bitch (infact I still have her)she's 12 now and never leaves my side ,but when she was a pup, she was an absolute nightmare to get back on the lead,she just thought it was a game.I would call her,she would come towards me and stop,and as I approached her with the lead she would just run away.

In the end the treat thing worked for me, I would call her , give her a treat ,and loads of praise and I wouldn't always put her back on her lead.

Good luck with your dog :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thanks for The advice lads he still thinks its a game and he follows me all the time the treat thing is working carry on doing it there no point rushing with him got plenty of time :) thanks again another lessson learnt

• Like 1

I also found that turning my back and sitting sdown would get mine to come back to see what i was up to, then drop a treat on the ground by my feet, when she bet to get she would expose her collar. Also, try putting the dog on the lead and walking a while then taking it off again a few times so it dont identify the lead with the end of the fun.

• Like 1