As you may no its our elver season and from time to time we go out with a very low catch due to the cold water or flooding,

we catch only a few dozen and not worth taking to the station.

So if there is anyone who wants to come and pick them up to stock a lake or stream you more than welcome to some.

I have filled our local brooks and ponds and as you know you can over stock a place with eels as there isnt enough food for them if there is to many.

so anyone interested send me a pm with your number and next time we have a few left il bell you for pick up.

i am pretty sure it is illegal to move fish from one water to another.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/aahm/

"

I caught a nice fish but don't want to keep it. Can I release it into another lake or river?

It is illegal to move fish from one public water to another without a fish stocking permit. Moving fish between waters can introduce diseases, disrupt the adaptive characteristics of a local populations, or cause competition between species that negatively affects game fish and aquatic resources.

"

http://www.in.gov/dn...d/3616.htm#nice

that said, the way that the eel problem is now it would do no harm to distribute them here and there and help them on their way

niall_b73

Edited by niall_b73
  • Like 1

I didnt realise it might be ilegal! just my luck to get fined for trying to do the right thing, over the years i have put elvers in just about every river and streem posible, my kids have cought boot laces hopefully from the young elvers i have put there.

The chap that runs our station told me it does more harm than good putting to many in one place thats why i offered them, but no worries lads.

Tewkesbury pat) a plate full would cost about £200 so more than willing to sell you some for that lol.

releasing elvers into waters that dont have them is a fantastic idea.

i have to travel 1/2 hour minimum to catch eels and by far my favourite species of any fish and very addictive.

i go as often as possible doing 36hr sessions at a time, no sleeping since i nearly lost a rod by a good eel.

its making my heart race typing this :laugh:

In theory it's a very good idea but as others have said it's illegal, and much harm has been done to native British wildlife by well meaning people. Grey Squirrels, American Mink, and Signal Crayfish being good examples.

Moving anything between watercourses and ponds in particular can have devastating effects, Crayfish plague which has decimated the native White Clawed Crayfish is easily spread, and Crassula helmsii (New Zeeland Pygmiweed) are just two examples. The Crassula in particular was and still is being transferred by well meaning people 're stocking' ponds with surplus frogspawn etc from their garden ponds. The Crassula quickly spreads and often covers the entire pond, outcompeting other plants, and preventing sunlight from penetrating. Once established, often the only way to get rid of Crassula is to fill in the pond, and if possible dig a new one, which isn't always done.

In theory it's a very good idea but as others have said it's illegal, and much harm has been done to native British wildlife by well meaning people. Grey Squirrels, American Mink, and Signal Crayfish being good examples.

Moving anything between watercourses and ponds in particular can have devastating effects, Crayfish plague which has decimated the native White Clawed Crayfish is easily spread, and Crassula helmsii (New Zeeland Pygmiweed) are just two examples. The Crassula in particular was and still is being transferred by well meaning people 're stocking' ponds with surplus frogspawn etc from their garden ponds. The Crassula quickly spreads and often covers the entire pond, outcompeting other plants, and preventing sunlight from penetrating. Once established, often the only way to get rid of Crassula is to fill in the pond, and if possible dig a new one, which isn't always done.

you are totally true. im sure the majority of wildlife etc we have in britain dint origionate from here but whos to moan as we either hunt or eat most of it..

get the elvers released i my near waters mainman :yes:

It's not illegal mate, good offer Main Man helping our eels return to rivers and streams :toast:

Mate i been thinking about this! i spokr to the chap that runs our station and all the elver bolts that we have to siv out go to rivers in wales only because the buyers dont want them, so for me to give lads free young eels to pop in lakes and streems has got to be a good thing rather than bad..
  • Like 3

It's not illegal mate, good offer Main Man helping our eels return to rivers and streams :toast:

Mate i been thinking about this! i spokr to the chap that runs our station and all the elver bolts that we have to siv out go to rivers in wales only because the buyers dont want them, so for me to give lads free young eels to pop in lakes and streems has got to be a good thing rather than bad..

Good or bad, well meaning or not, it's still illegal.

legalaties aside, my personal views on this subject are that before re locating any animal or plant, a little thought should be put to what else might be bieng transferred along with it, such as disease, non native species, etc, and will the receptor site provide adequate food for that and other species already there?

Also, if the watercourses which the Elvers are being transferred into don't already have Eels, then maybe the conditions aren't suitable for them. If the conditions are right then the Eels will migrate there naturally.

Also, if the watercourses which the Elvers are being transferred into don't already have Eels, then maybe the conditions aren't suitable for them. If the conditions are right then the Eels will migrate there naturally.

What about the Eels living in water troughs and that :laugh: , our local rivers are full of eels or I would of got some and broke the law releasing them :D

What about the Eels living in water troughs and that :laugh: , our local rivers are full of eels or I would of got some and broke the law releasing them :D

Just fact and opinion, mate.

• Like 1