Dry Ferret food vs Dry Cat food ?

Guest vin

Hello all.

I was at the local pet supplies earlier and one of the staff told me they feed their ferrets on Dry Complete cat food because its higher in protein than the complete ferret food they sell etc etc..told me the popular brand IAMS is better for the ferts because its 80% proteins etc etc..said their Ferts are lots healthier on it than they were on the standard stuff that ive been feeding mine that apears to contain about 23%.

I do feed rabbit and also give them eggs and lactose free milk,the odd bit of oily fish.chicken wings etc etc.. but in the summer I tend to stick to mostly Dry with the occasional bits of flesh,to try and keep the flies down..So i would like to know if I could be feeding them a better quality dry complete mix ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you think that could have anything to do with price of that f*****g stuff.............

Fed flesh at night a fly bag each side of the huts and remove the remains in the morning only bought dry once and never again

Cat food is for cats mate.   Ferret food is designed for ferrets as they have a tiny digestive tract and need to extract nutrients quiickly. High protien is not the be all and end all

Posted Images

Mine get raw but occasionally I have to give them kibble.....

I've fed them cat biscuits since they were 8wks and theyre fine. I got some chudleys ferret food the other day (sample bag) and they didn't eat it. Then once they had it, they got the shits.

I suppose there are reasons not to feed cat biscuits but it's done mine no harm.

Hello all.

I was at the local pet supplies earlier and one of the staff told me they feed their ferrets on Dry Complete cat food because its higher in protein than the complete ferret food they sell etc etc..told me the popular brand IAMS is better for the ferts because its 80% proteins etc etc..said their Ferts are lots healthier on it than they were on the standard stuff that ive been feeding mine that apears to contain about 23%.

I do feed rabbit and also give them eggs and lactose free milk,the odd bit of oily fish.chicken wings etc etc.. but in the summer I tend to stick to mostly Dry with the occasional bits of flesh,to try and keep the flies down..So i would like to know if I could be feeding them a better quality dry complete mix ?

Do you think that could have anything to do with price of that f*****g stuff............. :whistling::yes:

• Like 2

Im sure its all in the break down of the ingredients i cant remember them all but one that sticks is there's a higher ash concentrate in ferret food to help them digest it ?.

Hello all.

Do you think that could have anything to do with price of that f*****g stuff............. :whistling::yes:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Labtastic..Its all about the dollar.. ;)

theyve done fine on it so far.............

but they do only get it occasionally. if it was their main diet then i would go for a decent kibble for ferrets

Edited by Veedublee

Well i,ll stick with what ive always been using. . . My hob will not eat anything except rabbit and the odd bit of chicken...he wont touch the kibble.

I had a hob that wasn't eating kibble vin so I would drizzle some of the oil out a tin of sardines or pilchards over it and within a week he was eating it without anything on. ;-)

• Like 1

Anyone ever threw a rabbit in and when it was finished threw another one in and so on................................. :whistling:

Anyone ever threw a rabbit in and when it was finished threw another one in and so on................................. :whistling:

NO IN THE SUMMER TO MANY FLIES ATB

Half a rabbit in the summer then..... :hmm: