Anyone know a good way to get new land?

I am looking for any good suggestions on how to get new land local to me.

I live on the edge of the peak district and have a little land myself with a small hand full of permisions locally. Mainly gained through friends and family.

Not really tried to get new shooting permission in the past, so I'm thinking i will not be very good at it and have no idea of how to go about it.

if anyone has found a good way of approaching land owners or finding out who owns a good spot of land i'd love hear suggestions on how to go about it.

i'm only after spots with rabbit, fox, corvid, and general vermin nothing fancy.

anyone got any ideas? how would i find out who owns a good looking spot and when and how is the best way to make contact with the land owner?

Edited by riflehunter583

Drive up with any paperwork (insurance, certificates etc), and knock on the door ask to speak to the landowner :yes:

Remember: problem, reaction, solution.

Give them a problem (ie pests/vermin), wait for a reaction then give them a solution.

Once you have one place, do a good job be respectful then ask them if the know anyone who could use a hand controlling pests.

Good luck, it seems hard but we all have to start somewhere :thumbs:

no i think he means its all controlled by organised shoots who have exclusive contracts with the landowners this is of course a load of tosh there are plenty of small farms who are more than entitled to ask people on to their land to help control pests

For complete blind visits with no introduction, 1st thing don't make this your initial greeting "(knock knock) hello can I shoot on your land" have a bit of a conversation with the bloke tell him your just in the area you come from such and such a place you've seen a load of pigeons on a field etc etc. Ask how he's getting on...

If the guy even says let me have a think about it go prepared have a bottle of whiskey/wine in your car as a gift and thank him for his time ask him if he minds you calling in a couple of weeks leave him your number and that's all you can do really. Me and a mate took about 6 trips to this farmer as he kept saying I need to have a word with my son, my keeper, my brother but each time we were polite and spent time talking to him eventually he got to know we weren't a pair of idiots and said yes. Bingo acres of farm!

20 will say no thanks I've already got lads on but it only takes 1 and your sorted.

Good luck

no good spots in the peak district were you are all shoot land from you most land owners are not allowed to let you on

This bloke must know you Dan!!!

not sure that he does mate.

not sure what he is taking about as i have permmision on 3 farms in this area and there are lots and i mean lots of private land around here i am told.

There is no hard and fast rule for getting permission.

PlasticJock's advice is sound.

Sometimes its not what you know but who you know

We just got a years contract on 2200 acres within 6 miles of home looks real good but we went out last night and it was useless!

I know crops are high but we didnt see signs of rabbits and no eyes except munties!

There is no hard and fast rule for getting permission.

PlasticJock's advice is sound.

Sometimes its not what you know but who you know

We just got a years contract on 2200 acres within 6 miles of home looks real good but we went out last night and it was useless!

I know crops are high but we didnt see signs of rabbits and no eyes except munties!

when you say contract do you mean you rent the shooting rights?