Woodies at Roost

Hi guys,

so Sunday I went out with Paulus for an airgunning go at roosting pigeons. We'd been with shotguns before and had pretty decent bags and some really good,challenging sport.

Paul suggested we try the same with air rifles this time - he with his FAC Rapid, me with my legal limit HW100S.

The weather started out nice but soon became threatening as we took up position.

As we were there quite early, we had a bit of a wait before the pigeons came into roost. I got comfortable and listened to the myriad of woodland songbirds as they built up a gentle but beautiful chorus. The odd squirrel darted around in trees a bit out of range and then finally a woodie landed. It was on the edge of range, but there were just too many twigs criss-crossing in front of it for a shot to be viable.

My restraint and patience were rewarded. 5 minutes later some woodies flighted in, and 1 sat bang-on 35 yards away about 40 ft up. Clear flight path for the pellet allowed me to shoot it straight throught the cranium. Pole-axed it plummeted to the ground.

My second came a few minutes later, at a similar range but seemed to hit everything on its descent to the ground! It's crop was hanging out like a french breast implant when I came to pick it up.

Incidentally, we were dogless for once after an accident for Pauls dog (healing well btw) and later on, we both missed having him around.

Then the rain set in! TIpped it down for about half an hour and it was starting to be less fun for a bit then.

More woodies came in. I was just lining up and 'crack, bang,miss' came from Paul.

A few more like this happened (I think Pauls zero had shifted) and I noted to myself for future planning, that it would be better to stake out different bits of the wood!

We tried a different bit of the wood after the rains had stopped and this time Paul nailed one, whilst I had less luck. Nothing landed long enough for me to get a solid lock-on.

Pauls pigeon had fallen into a thorn bush that his dog would not have had a problem with - how you miss a dog when you need one, but don't have one around!

Good fun as ever and a good crack with Paul. Not a prizewinning bag but the banter was worth it and good company is what makes any trip a good one

All the best

Duncan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would be far easier to do a bit of research before posting,its not hard............http://bit.ly/GJjmPa

Hi guys,

so Sunday I went out with Paulus for an airgunning go at roosting pigeons. We'd been with shotguns before and had pretty decent bags and some really good,challenging sport.

Paul suggested we try the same with air rifles this time - he with his FAC Rapid, me with my legal limit HW100S.

The weather started out nice but soon became threatening as we took up position.

As we were there quite early, we had a bit of a wait before the pigeons came into roost. I got comfortable and listened to the myriad of woodland songbirds as they built up a gentle but beautiful chorus. The odd squirrel darted around in trees a bit out of range and then finally a woodie landed. It was on the edge of range, but there were just too many twigs criss-crossing in front of it for a shot to be viable.

My restraint and patience were rewarded. 5 minutes later some woodies flighted in, and 1 sat bang-on 35 yards away about 40 ft up. Clear flight path for the pellet allowed me to shoot it straight throught the cranium. Pole-axed it plummeted to the ground.

My second came a few minutes later, at a similar range but seemed to hit everything on its descent to the ground! It's crop was hanging out like a french breast implant when I came to pick it up.

Incidentally, we were dogless for once after an accident for Pauls dog (healing well btw) and later on, we both missed having him around.

Then the rain set in! TIpped it down for about half an hour and it was starting to be less fun for a bit then.

More woodies came in. I was just lining up and 'crack, bang,miss' came from Paul.

A few more like this happened (I think Pauls zero had shifted) and I noted to myself for future planning, that it would be better to stake out different bits of the wood!

We tried a different bit of the wood after the rains had stopped and this time Paul nailed one, whilst I had less luck. Nothing landed long enough for me to get a solid lock-on.

Pauls pigeon had fallen into a thorn bush that his dog would not have had a problem with - how you miss a dog when you need one, but don't have one around!

Good fun as ever and a good crack with Paul. Not a prizewinning bag but the banter was worth it and good company is what makes any trip a good one

All the best

Duncan

what i didnt tell you, when you rang to see where i was, i had fallen asleep sitting up against one of them big furrs :laugh: i about shite myself when the phone rang :laugh: i still havent checked that rapid, as i said i hadnt shot it since last september :laugh:

Not certain of it, but thought it was against the law to take birds at roost. The only exception was feral pigeons. Worth checking before the next outting or run the risk of loosing guns. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

ATVB

Roger

Not certain of it, but thought it was against the law to take birds at roost. The only exception was feral pigeons. Worth checking before the next outting or run the risk of loosing guns. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

ATVB

Roger

learn the difference between roost shooting and shooting after dark ,one is legal one is not unless its for ferrels :thumbs:

ATVB

Roger

learn the difference between roost shooting and shooting after dark ,one is legal one is not unless its for ferrels :thumbs:

So then clever glogs which is legal and i started my post with the words "NOT CERTAIN". Which gives the shooter the choice to accept my statement and look into it or if he is happy that what he was doing was legal and do nothing.

ATVB

Roger

So then clever glogs which is legal and i started my post with the words "NOT CERTAIN". Which gives the shooter the choice to accept my statement and look into it or if he is happy that what he was doing was legal and do nothing.

why not check then before commenting and thats all well and dandy if it wasnt followed by risk loosing your guns clever cloggs

ATVB

Roger

It would be far easier to do a bit of research before posting,its not hard............http://bit.ly/GJjmPa

• Like 2