How would you approach it ?

I have recently managed to get permission on a farm that has a railway line running as it's boundary to the west and a small stream on the east. The main Field that the rabbits are in is very flat, M long against the railway embankment which has just received a new fence so there is no overhanging cover and the grass is kept extremely short by the sheep. There does not seem to be a favored entrance to the field from the embankment, I have sat it out and waited tight to the fence only for the bunnies to appear out of range further up the fence. I have creped toward them but they spook and run through the fence and back to the cover of brambles in the embankment.

So should I wait it out a bit longer? start feeding them in a certain spot ? build a hide against the fence ?

What do you guys think ? after a very frustrating afternoon, seeing plenty of rabbits but not even one shot fired.

Smokey

I'd get permission to build a permenant hide or even just a low panel fence at 90° to the embankment fence. The rabbits would get used to it being there and you would be able to approach them unseen. Then just peep over the top or around the side and pop 'em.

as the cover grows back to the new fence it should fill in most the gaps leaving fewer spots for the rabbits to come through and giving you better stake out points. as you said its new permision you have just got to learn the ground... you will suss it ;)

kanny

Edited by kanny

Thanks for the replies, there are plenty of bunnies on this plot due to the railway line and also the land on the opposite side of the track is a large industrial area, with mown grass and landscaped gardens. I shall give it a few weeks before returning with the R-10 and just pop up with the binoculars, shall start to build up a few screens at 50m intervals.

Smokey

Hi mate,

All the above is sound advice. :yes: You could always give lamping a go as well you have got a better chance of getting close to the rabbits with out being seen as long as your quiet, or if you don't mind an early start you could always try getting into position under the cover of darkness and waiting for the sun to come up. Either way buddy hang in there I am sure you will figure it out, would be interested to here how you get on. :thumbs:

ATB Si

Edited by 77 si

Or if you really want to improve your fieldcraft, get on your belly and crawl within range :yes:

My padock permissions are like that, virtually no cover and thats sometimes the only way to get near them :yes:

It's just a pain getting home and the missus saying, you stink of horse sh!te. Also beware of tic's!

Tony

I have similar open ground with no approach cover and a down hill slan in parts of my shoot. As Tony says it's crawling time! That said, I did get within 45 meters yesteday, by just taking it very easy on foot. I then dropped on to my arse and 'butt shuffled' for another 6-7 meters, with no cover, just watching to ensure the rabbits are not spooked, then freezing if they look nervous.

Took me about 45 mins to accomplish then was thwarted for an hour by a spooked family of four roe dee who barked, stamped and legged it, loved the challenge though.

If you try this approach cover EVERYTHING and take it slowly and quietly! The glint from a scope, barrel, stupid coloured shoe, hand, face, ensures that instead of blending in you stand out like a sore thumb!

Hi mate,

All the above is sound advice. :yes: You could always give lamping a go as well you have got a better chance of getting close to the rabbits with out being seen as long as your quiet, or if you don't mind an early start you could always try getting into position under the cover of darkness and waiting for the sun to come up. Either way buddy hang in there I am sure you will figure it out, would be interested to here how you get on. :thumbs:

ATB Si

Lamping would be a big no no, with the trains running parallel to the fence. You could end up in real trouble for blinding the drivers with a strong light beam

Or if you really want to improve your fieldcraft, get on your belly and crawl within range :yes:

My padock permissions are like that, virtually no cover and thats sometimes the only way to get near them :yes:

It's just a pain getting home and the missus saying, you stink of horse sh!te. Also beware of tic's!

Tony

Looks like I will have to get lower than a worm's belly then :tongue2:

Thanks for the replies, next time I hope to have a few trophy pics

Smokey

Ever considered a gillie suite? I have used mine to great effect for sitting and stalking, o movement is easy, nice slow movement, use thing for blind spots even if its small the angel which is created by an object is sometime staggering, given the small thing you hiding behind. Also what tony said (field craft is key) a nice simple belly crawl using your legs to move hides any moment which is on show as your legs are out of sight.

Gaz

There are a number of problems stalking rabbits to consider = movement , noise and your scent .in order to get within airgun range you will probably need to be within 50 yds at most ,depending on what range you can accurately shoot at and the conditions at the time ( wind ,rain etc ).if you build a hide / hides these will have to be within your max shooting range and you may need to build more than one.problem is if more than one built is you may have to travel between them.i have found the easiest way to get nearer rabbits is when there is a bit of wind and rain.( tends to drown out any noise you make and they tend to sit down tighter) .the option you have discounted is lamping ( due to possibly blinding the driver ).there are lamping outfits which do not have to be realy bright ,and if this is a railway bank and if the rabbits are at the bottom will the actual light be on the train ?.another option if light is realy an issue use some form of nv ( nv add on , camcorder with nightshot etc ) atb .

Smokey, should be no problem lamping, just make sure you don't shine the lamp towards oncoming trains. You should be able to hear them coming a long time before they arrive and shine away, or turn the lamp off.

Lamping is the easiest hunting method for rabbits.

• Like 1

grass ghillie suit and gem up at 40-45 yards..

or brable ghillie and sit along there and wait.

sniper veil and lay in the grass..

wheres the sun when its low, can you get that behind you?

a tri pod stool cammo net or ghillie cloth over it, and sit behind it..peg it out a bit to make it wider and even a little around you....

Edited by ghillies

Thanks for all the advise, I think that I will give the ghillie suit and cover a try. Just watched this video on youtube got to be worth a try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMTphqlSZSQ&feature=context&context=C4d68181VDvjVQa1PpcFOnQEGwBGZRocl1YsAoP4GHTg8DK36U6yI=

You can see how he has set up towards the end of the footage

Smokey

Edited by Smokey 1