Theoben zero problem

Hi all, i was just setting up my theoben fenman with some new h&n field target trophy and it was shooting tight groups low. Then i adjusted it a couple of clicks up, then my gun started fireing pellets everywhere! does anyone know what is happening? its not my scope it is a new hawke reflex 3-9x50.

Thanks

Marcus.

I'm not wishing to be all doom and gloom but there's a good chance it's fecked the scope if all's tight and you've checked the usual stuff.

Hawke make some nice clear optics for the price but they're not the most strongly built scopes and springers can break them from time to time and the Fenman, like most other Theoben springers, has a well earned reputation as a scope wrecker due to their unusually sharp snappy recoil.

You really need a proper spring rated scope on your Fenman, mate, or it'll only break the next Hawke.

just had the very same problem with a mates rifle [webley falcon[ im ok at sighting in rifles but this one had me stumped scopes were fairly new [hawke] and when he finally took to shop it was the scopes mate so get them checked

It isn't the gun. You know that because ti was grouping perfectly well.The only thing that has changed is the scope...I would say the reticle is loose.

There is nothing wrong with the Theoben rifles, they are actually very much top of the range. It isn't wise to put a cheap scope on a good rifle. The old rule of thumb was to spend as much on the scope as the rifle. A "cheap" rifle will shoot nearly as well as an "expensive" one. You can only shoot as well as you can see though. The difference between Hawke and better scopes is mind blowing when you get to look through them IN POOR CONDITIONS. In good light you can't see the difference (it is there, you just can't see it). When the light fades, that is when the good lenses will wake up and my word can you see the difference. Poor lenses will actually give you a headache.

On such a good rifle it seems a shame to use a cheap scope. You don't have to spend £400, but it would be wise to spend £130 or so (Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 from A&M Gunsmiths is only £130). Nikko Stirling from the same place (cheapest place I know of for scopes - much cheaper than the big internet shops). Don't take my word for it, ask Ady at A&M, he'll guide you with good advice and won't try and rip you off either. He understands people have to save for their toys.

Edited by Acuspell