How to paunch a rabbit ...

Going out tonight with my new Deben 170 and Lithium to give it a good testing :)

Normally just keep my rabbits and do em when I get home but seen alot of pics and people have done em in the field. What is the best way to do this ? any tips on what to avoid ?

They always look nice and neat when layed out in them photo's but they aint so neat when I do em lol

holde head or front feet, locate the soft spot just under the bottom of the rib cage, stick your knife in and slice down towards the bottom, dont go to deep or youl sh*t bag it, but leave an opening big enough for your hand to get in. now grab the back feet and give it a flick motion, the guts will drop out slightly, now stick your hand towards the top disconect the cords pull all the guts out, and put em in a bag or just chuck them where the farmer cant see/wont mind

stanley knife push the blade out just a little so you dont cut the guts

We used to do this but used the snap blade cheap knives from the pound shop!

Its a good method if you dont carry a 'favourite' knife.

Good cheap knife for the job in my opinion is the carbon bladed Opinel. :thumbs:

I also like to let my rabbits 'cool off' before gutting as its not as messy then (blood wise)

Edited by masmiffy

I cant be arsed with the extra mess that comes with 'gut it now' covered in blood and guts aint my ideal day or night!

Do em all in one go one lot of mess!

If ferreting its easier to hang em up and collect later out shooting, if on foot, the extra weight is a problem if you carry em!