I have achieved steps 1,2 & 3

will post links to video when I get some help with my computer

All steps start with Jill leaving her box

step 1. Retrieve "bait" from just outside box

step 2. Retrieve from 1m poly pipe burrow

step 3. Retrieve from large poly pipe maze

step 4. Retrieve from disused rabbit warren

step 5. Real deal

like I said, I have filmed her success from steps 1,2 & 3 and will post soon.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

how do you get it to retrieve in the first place though? by using a lead?

both of mine will come when I call them (handy when they pop up on the wrong side of the hedge/fence)....but they definitely wouldn't if they had something in their mouths, they'd just look for somewhere to stash it like all ferrets do.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

carefull jai he dresses goats he'll be trying to sell you and johnny some clothes for your sheep lol

retreiving ferrets ffs lol, wheres whin an stubby when ye need them haha

I reckon what happens is the ferret latches on the rabbit and it try's to make its escape by trying to bolt out the burrow and some folk see this as Look my ferrets pulling the rabbits out the burrow

Hey Rob,

I used a cage like a skinner box.

The cage is attached to the ferret box I intend to use in the field and the ferret has access.

The moment I give a treat/mouse I turn the hose/sprinkler on and the only option is to immidiately return to the box with the treat.

Only turned the hose on twice.

No more reminders necessary, it's just habbit now.

I'm posting my early steps at the moment.

Will continue filming win, lose or draw

that mouse was awesome .. I have never heard of someone training their ferret to retrieve while working (pets maybe).. i wonder if the predetor instict will come out in the ferret though ...

anyways good luck in this would like to see the results..

Good luck but can't see the benefits myself in oz i would be more concerned about the spiders snakes.

Than can me ferts retrieve.

Atb Cookie

:laugh: can just picture Seth shitting himself as his ferret is dragging back a feckin scorpion or something to him :laugh: :laugh:

don't want to knock what your doing bud, but ANY ferret will do what you're showing in that vid. They've picked something up and the nearest dark place to take it is the box, it's a simple as that. Do it from 15-20 meters away and I'll be impressed, but my ferrets would both do what you've just done with zero training.

One a seperate note....what's with the gloves? shouldn't you teach them not to bite first? :hmm:

• Like 2

Please be paitient mate, I'm filming and posting as I go.

She currently enters an underground PVC maze and retrieves bait to the top, then enters her box with it.

That is coming out of a dark place, into daylight then into box.

I'm posting videos with great difficulty so please bare with me.

Ps, got gloves on cos I just finished dressing a goat and couldn't blame her if she smelled goat on my hands.

your scared of that ferret pmsl lollol see the way he panicked an dropped the bait when thr fitch got close :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Check out the gloves there defo eu poley handlers gloves them, wonder if he got them off digermad , serious first thing I would be training it to do is be friendly : ) if you want my opinion the reason the ferret is going in the box is because it's scared that's obvious ,

Edited by Jamie m

I thought it was just taking it into the box to eat it in the peace and quiet . And you certainly jumped when that wee ferret moved towards you :laugh: :laugh: need to teach you no to be scared of them first before any retrieving