Lay-up prevention training

seth21

Hey guys,

was wondering if anyone has ever trained their ferrets against eating kits while in the ground?

I have started training a green Jill and so far so good.

Will enter her into her first Warren in a few weeks, so that will be the real test.

Ps. Here in Australia the rabbits breed almost all year round.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

carefull jai he dresses goats he'll be trying to sell you and johnny some clothes for your sheep lol

retreiving ferrets ffs lol, wheres whin an stubby when ye need them haha

I reckon what happens is the ferret latches on the rabbit and it try's to make its escape by trying to bolt out the burrow and some folk see this as Look my ferrets pulling the rabbits out the burrow

I'm intrigued! when you say so far so good what has she actually been doing? How have you gone about training them?

are you saying you're trying to train the ferret to drag rabbits out of the hole and back to the box? I'll be seriously impressed if you manage to train one to do that.

Don't want to piss on your chips but having seen how hard it is for a hob to drag a rabbit out of a warren I don't really see how a jill would be strong enough to do it, it's one thing dragging it along the floor but dragging them through a windy warren with tight holes is another thing altogether. Good luck though bud! :thumbs:

Sounds mad, but johnnyboys misses, has trained her pet ferret to retrieve. . . .

But i don't think it would work in the hunting field.

I have a jill, who if she is near the exit, will drag them out, but usually they get stuck and she just kills them.

Best you can hope for really with kits, is a ferret that smashes them quick and drops them to move after the adults, in these cases a ferret that stays with its kill is a pain in the arse, as you will forever be digging to kits, however at the same time, a ferret that kills and moves on can be a pain if it kills quick, as you never know to dig.

I reckon what happens is the ferret latches on the rabbit and it try's to make its escape by trying to bolt out the burrow and some folk see this as Look my ferrets pulling the rabbits out the burrow when its in fact the other way round

• Like 2

I reckon what happens is the ferret latches on the rabbit and it try's to make its escape by trying to bolt out the burrow and some folk see this as Look my ferrets pulling the rabbits out the burrow when its in fact the other way round

Not sure mate, was out the other day, and first thing i saw was the ferrets tail jerking in the hole, then her arse, and her back, and she was moving backwards in a jerking motion, tugging the rabbit by it's arse. My guess is that what she was doing was trying to drag it into space where she could get over to its neck, and the exit was the closest place. I guess if she was deeper she would just drag it to a wider tunnel bit or a chamber. She is like a little terrier.

Not sure mate, was out the other day, and first thing i saw was the ferrets tail jerking in the hole, then her arse, and her back, and she was moving backwards in a jerking motion, tugging the rabbit by it's arse. My guess is that what she was doing was trying to drag it into space where she could get over to its neck, and the exit was the closest place. I guess if she was deeper she would just drag it to a wider tunnel bit or a chamber. She is like a little terrier.

My hob does the same, backing out of the hole proper tugging on the rabbit, usually by the head. Definitely not been dragged out of the hole by the rabbit, it'd have to be a bloody strong rabbit to drag that fat little git anywhere!!!

Hey Rob 190364

I am trying a 5 step process.

I have achieved steps 1,2 & 3

will post links to video when I get some help with my computer

All steps start with Jill leaving her box

step 1. Retrieve "bait" from just outside box

step 2. Retrieve from 1m poly pipe burrow

step 3. Retrieve from large poly pipe maze

step 4. Retrieve from disused rabbit warren

step 5. Real deal

like I said, I have filmed her success from steps 1,2 & 3 and will post soon.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated