rabbits vs hares

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should probably rethink your times ! 30 seconds is an awfully long time on a rabbit !! If a dog can't catch a rabbit in 30 seconds, it wont be catching many at all !! LOL !!   Cheers.

Don't know about being faster than hares but I don't think people give rabbits enough credit for how bloody fast they are over short runs, when they only have 20 or so meters til they reach safety the

Ask your self this how many rabbits would get caught with in the 1st 30secs by a lucher ,then how many hares would you catch with in the same time with the same dog and then you get your answer

Well sorry to word it wrong lets say20 seconds,

so pre ban days what would of been the harder night 10 good hares or 40 good rabbits in 1 nights runing.

you should not lamp hares they are not at there best on the lamp so yes 40 rabbits would be a lot harder to catch but i think youll find hares are faster imo

so pre ban days what would of been the harder night 10 good hares or 40 good rabbits in 1 nights runing.

you should not lamp hares they are not at there best on the lamp so yes 40 rabbits would be a lot harder to catch but i think youll find hares are faster imo

don't want to start a fight, but isn't nothing at their best on the lamp? Don't we use the lamp to find game easier and so they catch them easier? I've had dogs that couldn't catch a hare in the light because they ran it differently and chased it out of the beam over banks etc. but caught them in the day relatively easily.

Its not that cut and dry...

In little stone walled feilds you could murder hares, big open land with bottomless dykes you could flatten dogs of a few slips.

Some bits of land it would be possible to acheive 40 odd rabbits with one dog and on fast flat land on educated game, dog and handler would be lucky to catch 20.

More dogs would get closer to the 40 rabbits than they would on ten good hares.

Some dogs wont even catch a hare on the lamp.. Slow clever dogs can catch rabbits slow dogs dont catch many hares and one good hare would finish them for the night.

to many variables

JMO

Edited by Giro
  • Like 2

Its not that cut and dry...

In little stone walled feilds you could murder hares, big open land with bottomless dykes you could flatten dogs of a few slips.

Some bits of land it would be possible to acheive 40 odd rabbits with one dog and on fast flat land on educated game, dog and handler would be lucky to catch 20.

More dogs would get closer to the 40 rabbits than they would on ten good hares.

Some dogs wont even catch a hare on the lamp.. Slow clever dogs can catch rabbits slow dogs dont catch many hares and one good hare would finish them for the night.

to many variables

JMO

THANKYOU very sensible reply

• Like 1