Tell me?

Well lads,over the summer myself and my son go to 2/3 working dog shows,we never win anything {they are far from pretty}but its a day out with my young lad which he enjoys seeing other peoples terriers.

My question is,if its a working dog show,what are the judges looking for?

Is it just down to the judges preferences?

Judging wise a load off bollocks if you ask me and I've been to them all. I used to go to them and bring a few terriers for the Craic, never got a kind look. Not that I care because I'd rather go home with my workers, than have a van full off fanny lickers and a wall full of rosettes that you could buy for half the price you paid for them. I Just go to maybe 2/3 a year now, no dogs which suits me fine. A days banter if anything while the huntings over. Atb

• Like 1

a friend of mine had a letter in this months edrd magazine about him having to cancel his show due to health and safety and public liability insurance and i must say i hope all shows are entually put out of business that way as it will halt the demise and dilution of working blood and the show rosette and glory hunting tossers will have to fukk off to the pedigree kc shows to satisfy their lust for stardom. working terriers should be bred for one reason and one reason only "WORK" not fukking ponsing around a little ring hoping to win a ribbon, just my opinion of course!!!!!

• Like 2

WORKING TERRIER shows are always old time favourites that are picked they are a joke the only 2 shows i saw this last year that was judged fairly based on the dogs working ability was mullingar and banbrigde wtc charity show.

i would be very interested to know how they judged the working ability of terriers in a ring. cheers cs :hmm:

All the shows in our area that i have been to have been a good opportunity to get out with your mates and dogs out of season for a good old catch up. The showing side some you win some you loose. Some judges are good and some are bad like most things in life. I saw a guy with a dog about 15 ins, the judge said to him that dogs to big, Guy says it does the job and thats all that counts. The guy ended up winning the class. In most cases its just a fun day out. Does it matter if you win or lose and whats the cost about 1.50 per entry. I enjoy taking the pups out its a good socialization for them. Of course there is always the option of mink hunting out of season. :thumbs:

• Like 1

The National Working Terrier Federation who are doing their best to keep Terrierwork alive and Legal in Scotland England and Wales needs the revenue generated by Working Terrier shows. WHY DO YOU THINK THE ANTIS were attacking the terrier shows via the tail docking legislation. The Terrier clubs need our support rather than all the keyboard geniuses trashing the work that Barrie and my old man and their like have been doing for years EVERY time we lose a show we lose a revenue stream that ultimatelly would be used to safegard Your terrierwork.We need more Terrier shows not less. Remember the only person a terrier has to impress is the guy that keeps it and works it I hope that when the guy who put in this original posts son grows up there are still shows to attend and Terriers to Work if not it wont be because WE did'nt try any body disagrees with this feel free to speak to me or my old man at the NWTF AGM IN APRIL.

• Like 8

The National Working Terrier Federation who are doing their best to keep Terrierwork alive and Legal in Scotland England and Wales needs the revenue generated by Working Terrier shows. WHY DO YOU THINK THE ANTIS were attacking the terrier shows via the tail docking legislation. The Terrier clubs need our support rather than all the keyboard geniuses trashing the work that Barrie and my old man and their like have been doing for years EVERY time we lose a show we lose a revenue stream that ultimatelly would be used to safegard Your terrierwork.We need more Terrier shows not less. Remember the only person a terrier has to impress is the guy that keeps it and works it I hope that when the guy who put in this original posts son grows up there are still shows to attend and Terriers to Work if not it wont be because WE did'nt try any body disagrees with this feel free to speak to me or my old man at the NWTF AGM IN APRIL.

i know your father and barrie do work hard at keeping terrier work alive events co-ordinator and they have my upmost respect for doing so but my opinion is a different argument altogether to what your saying, in my opinion shows do have a detrimental effect on working blood and we have only to look at the sealyam terrier, bedlington terrier, border terrier, jack russell terrier, lakeland terrier just to name a few and most recent failures of breed, next it will be the patterdale/cross bred that will fail because of gaining popularity in the show ring. and yes i know there is still some russells, lakeys, borders doing a job there not there in the numbers they were and thats because lads have jumped ship and started working cross breds because the fail rate is alot less than other breeds.

Wurzil i dont get your argument all the terrier shows in the West country that i go to most people that show there terriers do some form of work and to be honest in some cases its very obvious. In my experience an obvious working dog will get placed above a non working which are few and far between. Perhaps its different in other parts of the country but we certainly have a lot of fun at our terrier shows.