been using a juicer to make cider from apples nd pears,,takes alot of the work out of it :D just put juice in demi john just over half add sugar nd yeast ,,top up with water ,,i get all apples nd pears free ,,, very strong stuff it is too :yes: :yes:

Edited by micckey

i'm guessing after you liquidised the apples etc you filtered the pulp [bANNED TEXT] demijohning.

real cider isn't that differn't collect apples make sure the variety you get are fairly acidic (you could try to get real cider apples)

if not add crab apples to balance.

(i found the best way to make it taste like scrumpy was to use a third mix of crab's, cookers, and eaters gives it a nice ballance don't worry about been to precise.)

chop into quaters (leave in skin and pips for tannin)

crush first to help relase juice (use a scratter or place in a bucket and bash with a stick)

press to release juice from the pulp and collect in fermenter

now you have a choice you can either add a camden tablet to it and pitch your own yeast 36 hours later (this will kill any bacteria etc that could spoil your wine)

or

you can leave it to ferment with a natural yeast(this is the white powder coating you get on fruit)

i class the second way not only as risky to spoiling but inferior as natural yeast will not produce as strong a cider.

finaly you must chose how you like your tipple flat or fizzy

for flat cider keep fermenting and racking off around once every 5weeks till clear and fermentaion has ceased

then bottle

for fizzy keep fermenting & racking off till fermentaion looks nearly finished (check with hydrometer is prefered) then bottle and add a teaspoon of sugar to prime the bottle, cap and leave to presureize(when i say nearly finished on a hydrometer it should be at 1.000 or just above or it will explode.)

for fizzy leave for at least four weeks before drinking

flat enjoy a quick glass after bottling

hope that helps

• Like 1

now if it was proper cider you wouldn t be adding anything to the mix

if you dont add sugar or yeast it wont be as strong :) i also add grapes to mix sometimes just to give it a boost .. Edited by micckey

i'm guessing after you liquidised the apples etc you filtered the pulp [bANNED TEXT] demijohning.

real cider isn't that differn't collect apples make sure the variety you get are fairly acidic (you could try to get real cider apples)

if not add crab apples to balance.

(i found the best way to make it taste like scrumpy was to use a third mix of crab's, cookers, and eaters gives it a nice ballance don't worry about been to precise.)

chop into quaters (leave in skin and pips for tannin)

crush first to help relase juice (use a scratter or place in a bucket and bash with a stick)

press to release juice from the pulp and collect in fermenter

now you have a choice you can either add a camden tablet to it and pitch your own yeast 36 hours later (this will kill any bacteria etc that could spoil your wine)

or

you can leave it to ferment with a natural yeast(this is the white powder coating you get on fruit)

i class the second way not only as risky to spoiling but inferior as natural yeast will not produce as strong a cider.

finaly you must chose how you like your tipple flat or fizzy

for flat cider keep fermenting and racking off around once every 5weeks till clear and fermentaion has ceased

then bottle

for fizzy keep fermenting & racking off till fermentaion looks nearly finished (check with hydrometer is prefered) then bottle and add a teaspoon of sugar to prime the bottle, cap and leave to presureize(when i say nearly finished on a hydrometer it should be at 1.000 or just above or it will explode.)

for fizzy leave for at least four weeks before drinking

flat enjoy a quick glass after bottling

hope that helps

yes mate i have the use of all apples in a orchard so its a crossed mixed bunch of apples.. i can add lemon juice nd put i few grapes though juicer too :D as i make it in 19 liter water butts,,ive got it down to a fine art now,,, :icon_redface: just thought i would share a easy way to make cider without a press nd rest of hassle :whistling:

i make turbo cider regularly. cheapest cartons of apple juice (morrisons value) i like best.

4 litres of apple juice

200 - 300 grams of sugar

i sachet of youngs cider yeast

demijohn

let if ferment out and bottle using 1 teaspoon of sugar per litre to prime.

drinkable after a week in bottles but gets better after 4 or so weeks. vol 6%

• Like 1

you don't need a press or sugar thats right

as long as you pick your apples at the right time of the year they are loaded with sugar i normaly get around 6% cider without adding any or only a small amount.

as for a press i use a car jack and a stone door way wedge a piece of wood aginst the top of the doorframe jack on a spreader board rack and cheese built on a tray on bricks small plumbing tank conector on the tray so you can divert the juice into your fermenter.

cost maybe £30 works better than the cheep basket presses

• Like 1

you don't need a press or sugar thats right

as long as you pick your apples at the right time of the year they are loaded with sugar i normaly get around 6% cider without adding any or only a small amount.

as for a press i use a car jack and a stone door way wedge a piece of wood aginst the top of the doorframe jack on a spreader board rack and cheese built on a tray on bricks small plumbing tank conector on the tray so you can divert the juice into your fermenter.

cost maybe £30 works better than the cheep basket presses

yeah thats why i just said use juicer,,also made a press out of gas underground plastic pipe nd a caravan leg with a oak disc that fits inside pipe but its just quicker wi juicer :)

i make turbo cider regularly. cheapest cartons of apple juice (morrisons value) i like best.

4 litres of apple juice

200 - 300 grams of sugar

demijohn

drinkable after a week in bottles but gets better

after 4 or so weeks. vol 6%

This looks great thanks for this :)

4 litres of apple juice

200 - 300 grams of sugar

demijohn

going to try this thanks

• Like 1

4 litres of apple juice

200 - 300 grams of sugar

demijohn

going to try this thanks

if you want it fizzy add a squirt of lemon,,, Edited by micckey

4 litres of apple juice

200 - 300 grams of sugar

demijohn

going to try this thanks

if you want it fizzy add a squirt of lemon,,,

no need to add lemon. the 1 teaspoon of sugar in the bottle carbinates it up just fine after a couple weeks kept at about 60 degrees

Edited by antg

4 litres of apple juice

200 - 300 grams of sugar

demijohn

going to try this thanks

if you want it fizzy add a squirt of lemon,,,

no need to add lemon. the 1 teaspoon of sugar in the bottle carbinates it up just fine after a couple weeks kept at about 60 degrees

you mean for the second fementation in the bottle,,ive tryed both ,try a squirt of lemon nd see the differance ;) its called speedy cider ,,, :icon_redface: