A nice change of scenery just a bit chilly! *pics added*

Tyla

Blackstaff, his boy and myself took a trip to one of my further permissions yesterday. I went over to Blackstaffs the night before so we could make an early start in the morning, this plan was nearly scuppered by too much dog chat and a bottle of vino making it a big of a later night than planned! Blackstaff was dedicated though and was up as planned at 5 with the kettle on!

We were on the road by just after six with three dogs, three boxes of ferrets and the boy asleep in the back. It was -8 according to the truck and got snowier and snowier as we headed to the ground.

Once we got there we let the dogs out for a stretch round the lake, it was bitterly cold but promised to be a bright sunny day. Snow had been on the ground for a week and had a nasty icy crust in places which made me cringe a bit for the dogs feet.

We started on a long banking that holds alot of rabbits. We were hoping for good numbers and ran long nets and stop nets up the banking and entered the ferts. It started great with two instant bolts one caught by Pearl and one by Willow. Then everything stopped, these buries are very deep but are seldom worked and the rabbits usually bolt really well, so well in fact that I've never had to dig there in the past. It wasnt to be the case today, I think with the bitter cold the rabbits were down deep and didnt want to move. The action was unusually slow as we went down the bank with the ferrets really having to graft to get them shifted and rabbits keen to hole hop rather than hit the nets or run the gauntlet of the dogs. TBH it was rather disappointing numbers wise but dogs and ferrets were working well and it was a beautiful place to be. We had a couple of digs a shallow one and a nasty deep one, luckily Blackstaffs boy is just the right size to fit into a deep dig and saves us having them to be dug too wide.

By this point we knew it wasnt going to be a big numbers day so we ditched the nets and decided just to bolt for the dogs. We had some really nice exciting runs, some extraordinarily lucky rabbits and some less so. After a great packed lunch courtesy of Mrs Blackstaff we moved to another bank where we were no only contending with stubborn rabbits and freezing cold but also a stoat working its way along in front of us and a number of buries having been opened up into badger setts which we needed to avoid. One of my jills setteld at 12 foot under the bank and wouldnt shift Blackstaff and Blackstaff jnr took the rest and carried on while I waited her out. That didnt work but she eventually moved to a spot at a mere 8 foot. After some choice language I rolled my sleeves up and got digging. I'd got about 5 foot and was head first down the hole when she appeared from a pipe i'd dug through and slid down the back of my neck with her sharp little feet. I grabbed the little swine and boxed her up while I had the chance.

This was the final straw and we left the banking and went back to try some more sheltered buries around the lake. The rabbits were slightly more co operative here in the first few buries although they were cheating by running across the frozen puddles. Willow pulled off a classic here, a rabbit bolted while she was retrieving another which she took with her while chasing the second one! Not exactly a text book retrieve but she brought it back in the end.

We did one final bury where again the rabbits didnt want to play, the ferrets had to work hard to get them moving but when they did bolt they wanted to skip between the holes. The dogs had a few and missed a few and we dug two from a stopend. The ferrets didnt want to give up but the light was fading and the boy was getting cold so after some ferret stalking we finally got them all out and headed for the truck. There were still rabbits left but they will be there for another day.

We ended up with eleven which is particularly few for the ground but enjoyed catching every one of them! One of my favourite days this season!

Blackstaff took millions of pics, some of which were brilliant, hopefully he'll get them up soon,

Edited by Tyla

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Yes the coneys seem to be sat deep in the buries the frost reach about 18 inches in our area and some of the small buries have been totally vancant yet the deeper warrens loaded.

Great day and fun but I always laugh when ferreters dream of them so called perfect conditions for ferretting frost snow etc.

Its a nightmare and has been unworkable for the dogs for 7 days until today roll on the milder weather so I can get the pegs in.

ATB Cookie

• Like 1

We had a cracking day, all be it a long one. As Tyla has said it was one of the most enjoyable days of our season from start to finish. All the dogs done really well and it is always nice to see them work in their different ways (imo). Here are a few pic's of our day out, I hope you like them :good:

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

Here is the link for the full set, Hope you like 'em :D

http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h372/Blackstaff-Photography/Hunting%20pics/Ferreting%20Tyla%20Feb/?albumview=slideshow

Great write up you deserve your sport out in those conditions and well done to the wee fella for lasting the day as well,some real quality pis there love that pic of the woodcock.

Cheers mate. I like that pic too, I might be wrong but i think its a golden plover? No doubt someone will know

• 4 weeks later...