rabbit dogs..

right lets see your rabbit dogs, dogs that are worked mainly or solely on bunnys.. even if its a dog that wasnt bred for bunnys, but thats the job they do..

do yous think if a dog that was bred for summat else, (say a bullx for pre ban fox, an the dog has failed on fox, or even a coursing dog that has failed on hares but takes bunnys well,) do you think the dogs should be bred from, to make more bunnys dogs?? lets see ye pics an hear ye thoughts :D

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of this "I wouldn't breed off a failed fox/deer dog that was shit hot on rabbits" stems from some lads, not all, looking down on lads who just hunt bunnies.   In the lurcher world the rabbitin

Heres my young bitch who I would describe as a out and out "rabbit" dog, would I breed her to another "rabbit" dog? If I thought it was going to improve my stock then yes of course I would, after all

But why would you want to use a failed Bull x as a stud for rabbiting dogs ? Surely it's better to use proven rabbiting stock........or am I reading the question wrong ? Cheers

Posted Images

no

why not? so if you owned a top class rabbit bitch and wanted to breed a pup of her and you new of 2 good stud dogs, 1 was a purpose bred rabbit dog and the other a failed hare coursing dog which was better on rabbits than the purpose bred rabbit dog would you not use the coursing dog?

if not why? if your looking to breed rabbit dogs wheres the problem. everyone always says do best to best breeding when you can.

no

why not? so if you owned a top class rabbit bitch and wanted to breed a pup of her and you new of 2 good stud dogs, 1 was a purpose bred rabbit dog and the other a failed hare coursing dog but was better on rabbits than the purpose bred rabbit dog would you not use the coursing dog?

if not why if your looking to breed rabbit dogs. everyone always says do best to best breeding when you can.

by going the best to best rule, would it not be better to either get a pup in out of the best 2 rabbit dogs you can find, or if your bitch was bred for rabbits, then put the best bunny dog you can find over her...

if a bought a hare dog an it wernt no good but was on rabbits a still wunt breed from it cause its failed at what it was intended for... i probably get rid ... plenty a rabbit dogs about no point adding even more to unwanted dogs list..... an a lot depends on the amount of rabbits ye doing.....if ye only doing rabbits ye buy a dog to suit ye needs....if its a failed hare dog then me personally dont think a failed hare dog would be good on the numbers game at rabbits so no i wouldnt breed .... my personal opinion...

Heres my young bitch who I would describe as a out and out "rabbit" dog, would I breed her to another "rabbit" dog? If I thought it was going to improve my stock then yes of course I would, after all aren't we all trying to get better animals. I only hunt rabbits these days so I'd look for another purpose bred rabbiting dog. :thumbs:

DSCF0095.jpg

• Like 6

Heres my young bitch who I would describe as a out and out "rabbit" dog, would I breed her to another "rabbit" dog? If I thought it was going to improve my stock then yes of course I would, after all aren't we all trying to get better animals. I only hunt rabbits these days so I'd look for another purpose bred rabbiting dog. :thumbs:

DSCF0095.jpg

but if i had a bullx that was doing the job on bunnys, an refused fox an anything else, would you use it across ye bunny dog?? :thumbs:

DSCF0095.jpg

but if i had a bullx that was doing the job on bunnys, an refused fox an anything else, would you use it across ye bunny dog?? :thumbs:

If I thought it would add something or improve the line then yes of course. :thumbs:

• Like 2

If a dog excells at the job you want it for and is physically sound in body and mentally sound in temperment course you could bred from it. Especially if the pups are going to be doing the same job.

Edited by Sirius

But why would you want to use a failed Bull x as a stud for rabbiting dogs ? Surely it's better to use proven rabbiting stock........or am I reading the question wrong ?

Cheers

Chances are you wouldnt in reality as a very very small Percentage of bull greys for instance would have the correct build, temperment, feet, soft mouth to be classed as outstanding rabbit dogs worth breeding from. But its all down to personal standards.

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 1

DSCF0095.jpg

well done for catching them rabbits what ever x :thumbs: