• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

plenty roadwalking freerunning on the bike and running on pals lure machine

plenty of free running

just taking them out be it day work, road walking or just mooching in general the more there out the fitter they get

Mines only a pup at the moment but when he starts getting bigger and the evenings get lighter I'm hoping to get out on the bike with him a fair bit. Do you think you can over do the road running at all? Was thinking of building up to 4-6 miles a day sometimes more. Or would that be too much?

Big difference between GETTING them fit and KEEPING them fit. To get them fit i do a couple of weeks roadwalking, about 3 miles, i do this for two weeks and then add the road walking and some free running exercise. To keep a dog fit i do less road walking and still keep the dogs free running...........

Guest born to run1083

my 2 year old gets 8 mile at from 15mph to 30

Really, sounds far too severe to me.......

Same here I used to only go between 10 to 12 mph and hold it there any faster on hard surfaces is to hard on there joints and need longer rest periods after to recover plus in the long run can cause more perminant effects. but like you commented if a dog is worked and worked often they shouldn't really need it, find it helps just as a top up if you have a few days break from going

I think alot depends on the breeding of the dog Simmo to be honest...obviously a predominately Grey or Whippet cross would be bottomed by such an overload of work?...my crew get about 8 mile behind the bike but obviously not if their out grafting 3/4 times per week..only as and when imo they need it ie:to get them upto something like the fitness level where they are capable of putting in a decent shift and when the moon is up and then perhaps the weather ain't suitable for the hunting i do..as for the speed of running the dogs i go no faster than having the dogs at just better than a quick walk...has worked in the past for me with good results so see little reason to change things now lol. ATB Andy.

I think alot depends on the breeding of the dog Simmo to be honest...obviously a predominately Grey or Whippet cross would be bottomed by such an overload of work?...my crew get about 8 mile behind the bike but obviously not if their out grafting 3/4 times per week..only as and when imo they need it ie:to get them upto something like the fitness level where they are capable of putting in a decent shift and when the moon is up and then perhaps the weather ain't suitable for the hunting i do..as for the speed of running the dogs i go no faster than having the dogs at just better than a quick walk...has worked in the past for me with good results so see little reason to change things now lol. ATB Andy.

I know what your saying Andy, and your dogs have far more stamina than my own mutts, they wouldn't be able to put a shift in like yours. I have often walked them 8 miles plus, but at a walk and trot, not at 30 mph, that was my point :laugh::thumbs:

i think what toby ment simmo,, was speeding up and slowing down,, i do the same,,, but i dont go as far as 8 mile,,,

but like andy says if there wotking regular they need the rest

Yes ive been in your van when the dogs are following, you need to focus on not running them over instead of stroking your passengers inner thigh!!!!