.22lr vs .17hmr for general rabbit shooting

hi guys new member, good to meet you all.

I have a .22lr browning 16inch threaded bolt action

however, i like rabbit shooting on many types of ground.

never shot a .17hmr but heard lots of good reports about them.

for effective hunting, pest control and managment of rabbits if I HAD TO JUST HAVE ONE RIFLE which is the most effective tool for rabbit shooting?

if anyone has experince of using both in differing situation what would you recomend and why?

regards

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you already have it......   Had both, stuck with the 22.lr....

again, Andy, .204 is a decent round.... You have a .22lr, you'll have a .204.... you WILL leave the .17hmr in the cupboard .................trust me.........

The HRM id straight shooting, so point and shoot, but ammo is more expensive and you will always have a 'CRACK' as the round goes off.

.22 are almost silent when moderated and using sub sonics, at £7ish per 50 rounds are cheap as chips but obviously has a bit more thinking as the round rises and falls

I prefer the .22rf

Had both calibers,now looking to buy a 22 rim,alot quieter around live stock the 17hmr still has,the sonic crack,horses react to them,problem with the 22 lr is they can ricochet more,you have to be carefull sometimes,I think there is more meat damage with 17hmr,however they are flat shooting,but prone to wind,deadly on grounded crows,and a bit more affective on the odd fox,however ammo alot more expensive than 22 lr,both very good guns and I will keep my 17 hmr as well as any 22 lr I get hope this helps

atb

darren

had both as a general all round workhorse you carnt beat the 22lr so if i only had the choice of 1 that would be it. £7 a box for 50 rounds is expensive i pay £5.99 for 100

I suppose it comes down to what you use Paulus, i use the 40gr winchester subsonics. What are you using??

had both as a general all round workhorse you carnt beat the 22lr so if i only had the choice of 1 that would be it. £7 a box for 50 rounds is expensive i pay £5.99 for 100

I suppose it comes down to what you use Paulus, i use the 40gr winchester subsonics. What are you using??

38gr remmington abit harder than the winchesters but aslong as you hit the spot are more than capable

I agree with Kingnewport, this has a lot to do with the land you shoot over, and for me both calibers have a place in my cabinet. They are two very different calibres and accordingly are both usefull in different situations.

I have both as I shoot over quite a bit of land and the topography is very different on some of the farms.

If you are happy with your .22 and it suits the ground you shoot over I would stick with it.

Hope that helps

ATB

Jonno

The HRM id straight shooting, so point and shoot, but ammo is more expensive and you will always have a 'CRACK' as the round goes off.

.22 are almost silent when moderated and using sub sonics, at £7ish per 50 rounds are cheap as chips but obviously has a bit more thinking as the round rises and falls

I prefer the .22rf

HMR a point & shoot calibre??What zero do you use then.....because i must be doing something wrong :hmm:with my 50 yd zero & holdunder to around a 100yds :blink:

you already have it...... :thumbs:

Had both, stuck with the 22.lr....

I would never get rid of my .22LR for a .17HMR.Both guns are well used in the summer but for lamping out of the jeep the .22 get's 99% of the work :yes:

is that becuase the low noise is better for lamping? scaring less rabbits away in the next field?

I prefer the .22rf

HMR a point & shoot calibre??What zero do you use then.....because i must be doing something wrong :hmm:with my 50 yd zero & holdunder to around a 100yds :blink:

i am guessing that a hmr 75-100 zero would be flat from 25 - 110 ish?

if so then it really is a point and shoot usful when using nv i guess as range is hard to judge with a more loopy .22 sub.

one of my thoughts is why not just get the best of both worlds with a .22, using subs for one shoot then the next hv which seem to be 1 mill dot/3moa high at 50 y and 1 mill dot /3moa low at 124 ish.

however still trying to figure out how much more accurate the hmr would be compared to the .22lr velocraptor roundwinchester laser for example. my thinking is if the .22 is nearly as accurate as the hmr then perhpas the .22 really does have the best to both worlds? i am getting very good results with eley subs out to 180 y at the moment, very quiet with a good mod and also quiet down range.

the confusion for me is one gun dealer will say .22 hv is more accurate than .22 subs, and other says the other way around?

any opinions would be valued?