Hancock dogs

I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole as like everyone says they're not bred from working stock.

I foolishly bought one around 1991 when I was young and wasted money. I wanted to see what the fuss was about and I was disappointed. I bought a 3/4 Grey-1/4 Collie Cross and although she died through an accident at just over a year she didn't show much promise.

I'd buy one locally from someone you trust and keep the extra cash on something useful.

By the way I'm surprised he's still on the go as he must be a good age now.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i got one , she is my first lurcher , still young but is showing promise , my reasoning for getting one was simple , new to the game had no connections in the hunting community wanted a collie x and t

Had one in the early 90,s. A three quarter bred beardy border bitch, which turned out to be a really good little dog taking all british quarry although only roe in the venison steaks. But a lot didn't

Not many first crossers of any type will truely come from working stock if your taliking about both parents being workers..people grab a collie, bull, or whatever, stick it over a greyhound and thats

not better plenty have done it to i know what im geting from my own stock but not from a big kennelrry ,as collie first crosses throw to much variences at times wastage etc

just a question whin. when you talk about lana was she collie lurcher cross greyhound or otherwise?

David Hancock is a good age now,, his daughter Sally is well up on the dog side of things,

The simple fact is you get what you pay for,, you know the cross, and to some, this is more importatnt than trusting to some local "superhunter" with a fantastic brood from his bull/saluki/wheaton,and errrr maybe some more cross !!

Plenty wouldn`t ,, and plenty have,, the marmite of the modern lurcher scene

Not many first crossers of any type will truely come from working stock if your taliking about both parents being workers..people grab a collie, bull, or whatever, stick it over a greyhound and thats it..if your taliking lurcher x lurcher, now thats different..Handcocks collie first crossers are no better and no worse than anybody elses,

• Like 2

Nah the way to do it I read somewhere is.

Get a working farmers collie bitch.

A fast racing greyhound on its back.

the outcome body like the sire and brains from the dam..

its not proven taking the sires body I guess it would be a mixture..

Edited by panther82

breeding of lana was d slieghts katie colie grew type, mark chapmans bob beardie grew type, pup out of the two lurchers was mines, luke i got a grade a greyhound worked her till she came on heat , then bred luke to her to produce lana and several others they were 24 26 strong very fast very very good dogs so not into percentages mate but thats how i got them , all worked and tried and tested at a good level , wished you could still get dogs simliar as them , very hard to get dogs of that standard

I've had four dogs from Hancock. The dog in my avatar was a Taffy 3/4 bred and I had him in the mid 80s. He was a very good dog who did the lot. I also had a Richard Jones half x - who was shaping to be a good fox dog but broke his leg when he was three so he never reached his full potential which was a shame. I also had a 3/4 bred by Kubla which I had pts at 14 months last November and at the moment I have a half x Alex puppy who is 9 months old and to be honest I'm pretty excited about this dog. He's one of the cleverest I have trained, 26" tts rough blue merle (bigger than I had expected) - so it's all fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Would I have another dog from Hancock? NO!!!!!!

• Like 1

Have had a couple of Hancock dogs would I have another one yes I think I would.He sells a lot of dogs and I don't think they all go to one off owners.If the majority of his stock were under par surly he would have gone out of business a long time ago. And at £230

a go he must be doing something right .

i wouldnt have 1 of these to be fair,i read a paper today and he is advertiseing them at 250quid a pup!!!! rippoff, i know a few people whos tryed them and not 1 has turned out good, its like they stock rabbits on the lamp! to brainy if you ask me, each to there own sapoes

Had three Hancock lurchers all 1/2 border 1/2 greyhound from 1990 to 2008 all been very good dogs thought I would have a change so got a bull greyhound from very good working stock ...... Never again wish I had had another Hancock lurcher. very easy to train. next one I have will be a 3/4 cross off merlin looks a very nice stud dog. You get what you put in to any dog regardless of what working stock they come from

• Like 2

I've had the old stuff and had'nt seen any new blood shipped over here in a while. We have hunted them on rats to bears and they did all right.but dont kid yourself not every one was a rock star either, but we here had some good ones.

6-17-05-123.jpg

032008002-2.jpg

newdog-1.jpg

030111011.jpg

• Like 1