irish hares

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest freestate hunter cfc
just a quick question, i know its illegal in the north, but are you still aloud to hunt them in south?

Angela smith put a hunting ban on the hares up north if my memory serves me right it was from the 31/3/03,and for down south it is not legal to just go out and hunt hares,you have to have writen permission from the farmer stating why he wants you to hunt hares on his land.If a wildlife ranger came or the garda came and caught you with dead hares and no writen permission beleave me you wont have a leg to stand on and thats from first hand experence

Guest Frank

just a quick question, i know its illegal in the north, but are you still aloud to hunt them in south?

Angela smith put a hunting ban on the hares up north if my memory serves me right it was from the 31/3/03,and for down south it is not legal to just go out and hunt hares,you have to have writen permission from the farmer stating why he wants you to hunt hares on his land.If a wildlife ranger came or the garda came and caught you with dead hares and no writen permission beleave me you wont have a leg to stand on and thats from first hand experence

Very true. written permission is a must. A lot of traverling men, just go and course them, cant understand how they get away with it :blink: , but they seem to and fair play to them. :laugh:

Frank.

Edited by Frank

This is all strictly about hunting in the South of Ireland.

Firstly, you need permission from any farmer to hunt hares or anything else, otherwise you're trespassing. You do not need written permission specifically to hunt hares.

Secondly, hares are classed as game and therefore can only be hunted in the game season i.e. 1st November to 31 January although the Masters of Beagles Association are usually granted an extension until the end of February.

Thirdly, the majority of Gardai and Wildlife Officers haven't a clue about the laws and rules and they make them up as they go along. So, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself, don't be cheeky or rude, but don't be bullied by a civil servant who just wants an easy life.

Guest Frank

Firstly, you need permission from any farmer to hunt hares or anything else, otherwise you're trespassing. You do not need written permission specifically to hunt hares.

Secondly, hares are classed as game and therefore can only be hunted in the game season i.e. 1st November to 31 January although the Masters of Beagles Association are usually granted an extension until the end of February.

Thirdly, the majority of Gardai and Wildlife Officers haven't a clue about the laws and rules and they make them up as they go along. So, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself, don't be cheeky or rude, but don't be bullied by a civil servant who just wants an easy life.

Thanks for clearing that up pointer28. :)

The season to hunt hare is from the 26th of September to the 28th February. I got that info from the wildlife department this morning, as i will be coursing hares next season on land i have permission from. ;)

Frank.

Guest wayne

What Hare?????????????

irish lurcher i presume thats a irish hare they look alot different to our brown hare :victory:

Yes Wayne thats an Irish Hare, well I din'en see its birth cert, but it was caught in Ireland :laugh::laugh::drink:

it would of been interesting to see it's birth certificate cause it just looks like a overgrown rabbit :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Guest freestate hunter cfc

well then why did the garda hold us one day and said to us that the wildlife ranger wants to have a word with us,we thought he was coming just to have a quick word and a slap on the wrist .when he came he wanted the dogs,the car and the trailer and boy what an argument there was the garda called for back up and when back up came they came to an agreement to just take the trailer ,he wanted it for evidence in court,because we disturbed the natural habbitat or the hare in act what ever it was .so court came and because we had permission but no writen permission we were all fined 50 punts then.So a friend of mine went to a libary and looked up the wildlife act laws and it said you need writen permission why he wants you to hunt hares ,sick or injured hares etc.Just last season there were three fellas i know got caught red handed on tape hunting hares by two rangers and are being prosecuted.they said there is a big clamp down in hunting hares(in the freestate) and are doing what they can to stop it when the fellas i know got caught they asked for the garda and when they came they said in this situation they have more power than us (the rangers)But dont get me wrong permission is good enough for me to go hunting on land and we have got stoped by the gards and said weve got permission and thats good enough for them but there is some real antis out there and they go the full hog to get you prosecuted.The ranger who got us is from Mullingar he was on tv before....