Rangefinders

Dont know much about them... and this might sound like a daft question but how does it know what your looking at to give an accurate range ?? If you looking at a rabbit how does it know if your not looking in front of it or behind it ? I'm quite sure there will be a decent explanation.... :hmm:

I don't own a range finder, but did once try one out that belongs to a friend. My understanding of how they work is that the distance is calculated based on the object which is brought into sharp focus by the user. I may be dead wrong on this, but that was the impression I got from my very brief use of a laser range finder.

The Rangefinder has a crosshair reticle much like a basic scope, place the object/target in the middle. The laser is central in its housing to be representitive of the crosshair position in the viewfinder. Unlike a pellet that has gravivty pulling it down the laser is directional light that is fired straight at the object.

Optical Rangefinders as mentioned above (like a telephoto lens) are focused until the image is sharp and then the range is read from a coresponding marking system.

Tony

Sounds cool, might have to invest in one of those saves all the guess work !!!

Not quite!

Use a range finder to help you/teach you the distances :yes:

You will find that quarry sometimes won't sit still long enough for you to 'ping' it. Use it wisely and you will develop your sense of distance and you will find it quicker to look at the quarry and your brain will tell you the distance. If that makes any sense lol

Tony

Sounds cool, might have to invest in one of those saves all the guess work !!!

Not quite!

Use a range finder to help you/teach you the distances :yes:

You will find that quarry sometimes won't sit still long enough for you to 'ping' it. Use it wisely and you will develop your sense of distance and you will find it quicker to look at the quarry and your brain will tell you the distance. If that makes any sense lol

Tony

perfect sense tony :thumbs:

I used mine to teach me how to recognise distances by eye and i have it down to a couple yards either way now, i still use it to confirm distances of long range shots, for bragging rights mainly :laugh: :laugh:

.atb. .Ste.