Hush power 12g & 410

hi chap, i have a bretton gaucher b/a 410, it replaced a 12g mossy pump action which to me was still very loud, but not from 30yds away as my mate told me, it depends how quiet you need to be, the mossy sounded like a car backfiring, but from a bit of distance it wasn't bad at all, not silent by any means, but no where near like a normal shotty with subsonic carts.

Saddlery and gun room make the hush power stuff, they do a really nice moderated spanish 3 shot b/a 410, I think it's a Norica

I have the investarm 20g over and under, it is quiet, but does take some getting used to, it's like holding a drainpipe with a stock on the end, supprisingly light and well balanced though.

This was the only over and under Hushpower I could find at the time.

My uncle also has a hushpower beretta over and under in 12g, so there are a few limited editions and custom guns around if you look.

All hushpower guns are even quieter when used with the hushpower cartridges as well.

Loads of threads on here about the hushpowers, so id do a search and check them out.

In brief, the hushpowers come in all different shapes and sizes. Predominantly they are single barrel. You can just buy the moderator from them and fit it yourself to a single barrel, or buy one of their conversions which are quieter and have a fully moderated barrel.

The ones you tend to see most often for sale are the .410 single barrels, you very very occasionally see a 12 bore single barrel for sale but they seem to be quite rare.

The only double barrel one they used to make is the 20bore o/u one, but thats expensive.

They do a mossberg pump action version in .410, 20 and 12, which is a 3 shot pump. The biggest downer with that is that due to the action, it makes it a very long gun with the moderator on it, and its not as quiet as the single barrels. But, you do get 3 shots.

From what ive found, with my .410 mossberg hushpower is that how quiet it is depends on where you are. If your in the middle of a field the noise is like a sneeze. Most strange the first time you hear it. If your near buildings or hedges then the noise echo`s and its more like the crack of an unsilenced gun. Its certainly not as quiet as an air rifle.

Accuracy and range depend on the shells you use. Most people reckon 35 yards is about it for the .410 like mine. You also find aiming takes a bit of getting used to cos of the size of the silencer. Also, with the pump, i found the pumping action in the middle of a quiet field whilst lamping was very loud! So being stealthy is not an option. They are ideal for shooting from quads and vehicles and having those 3 shots is handy.

All in all they are a handy tool to have, but depends on what you want it for. For rabbits / lamping I tend to prefer the air rifle. For pigeons id use my 12bore semi or sbs. So I find I dont really use my hushpower as much as I anticipated.

The final thing, is that they do hold their value due to the somewhat rarity of them and they are always popular. So if you got a 2nd hand one, you could try it out for a season, if you didnt like it just sell it and get your money back.

Edited by jackinbox99