deerhound x greyhound your opinion

Nice cross and very nice looking, but do people really have a use for dogs 28" - 30+" anymore? They are not for me as the take half a county to turn and there size lets them down on the land I hunt.

I have ran a pure deerhound at game when legal and cant say I was impressed, good sport but not bag fillers.

Maybe a bred down type would be best dogs throwing around 25"

Edited by Sirius

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spot on matie, I knew Miss Noble, spoke to her numerous times at deerhound coursing, got beat in one final by one of her favourite hounds Ardkinglas Ace, I quized her a lot about putting the greyhound

Whin has it spot on.     This is my 6th Gen deer/greyhound cross, 28tts and 38kg. She is coming up to seven now and is having to be retired from the game. I lamp alot aboard and she is great on t

Bunny any chance your related to whin

sirus decent post with honesty and not blind ness we had the derhound type in eighties bitches 25 26 dogs 26 27 good alround animals but not saw any for years like that

I honesty think that a bred down Deerhound/Greyhound is without doubt a good dog and ideally a dash of collie would do some good also IMO ;-) But these big horses of dogs are IMO just way to big to be useful on the land I hunt (small fields)

25-30 years ago you couldnt find dogs not of this type of breeding at the lurcher shows...lol

• Like 1

good x if both parents work

Does that mean it's a bad cross if the parents didn't work ?? LOL !! I agree it's probably best if the parents were workers, but my bitches Deerhound sire never worked, (although he WAS from working stock); and her Greyhound dam, never worked or even raced !! ( She was a brood bitch and very well bred). Would my bitch be a better worker if her parents had been workers ? She does everything I want and I doubt she would be much better if she was out of workers,

Cheers.

• Like 1

good x if both parents work

Does that mean it's a bad cross if the parents didn't work ?? LOL !! I agree it's probably best if the parents were workers, but my bitches Deerhound sire never worked, (although he WAS from working stock); and her Greyhound dam, never worked or even raced !! ( She was a brood bitch and very well bred). Would my bitch be a better worker if her parents had been workers ? She does everything I want and I doubt she would be much better if she was out of workers,

Cheers.

deffo not a bad x a run deerhound x not first x but lurchers with deerhound in the mix ,i know and you know that most 1st x parent will not have seen any work ,but like you said he was from working stock and he doing the job for you ,

I've got another Deer type bitch, that was bred out of two workers, and both her and the bitch out of non-workers were brought up and entered the same way, and I would defy anyone who didn't know them to tell which was bred from workers and which wasn't. Of course it's probably better to use working parents...but how much better ?

Cheers.

you want hare dogs you by of proven hare dogs and breed acordinaly , you race dogs you by of tried and tested dogs or winners , same with anything, we havent the land here to test proper deerhounds as they were, the yanks have it down to a tee the way they have there staghounds ,good worker to good worker it works for them saw plenty of decent ones take coyote some take jack rabbits butt hey are bred of generaition of running dogs not just deerhound to greyhound to me thats not the way forward thats just the start to get well bred dogs you have to mix things in the pot to get the best of the dogs,it would be along haul to get the old deerhound type back to were they were at in the eighties or on par with good coursing bred dogs,

hi there charps the bitch in question to us qualified has the term f1 whipp deerhound , the sire was in the breed standard and was for seveal generations .YES HE HAD GREY IN HIS MAKE UPbut that was in the back of his ped .now i do not perceive to neneed a kc to be a breed type its because of this way of thinking that some breeds are in trouble .lets see kc whipps i believe the bottomley brothers took inferior none kc stock to be absorbed in to whipps which went on to become coursing stock . the kc and the non ped have in some cases ancestorial ssimilarities . now the deerhound do they not carry beardie blood in the make up and in some cases wolfhound , I was allways led to believe this his how we became and got the dinosaurs in the breed cow hocked etc , breed type becomes distorted and can be if one becomes sidestepped with purity of blood ,I know you also have a love for the whipp charps but i do not le myself and judgement be cloude a whipps a whipp a greys a grey agrews a grew , i find nature fascinating because when get them all in the same nest all the best charps my to peneth no punt intended atb bunnys