how to stop dog running on when lamping?

I've got a lurcher at 14 months. I've been out a few times lamping and he's had a few rabbits, but last time i took him out (last week) he carried on searching for rabbits after missing the one been lamped. It took me about 10 minutes to get him back on the lead and 10 to 15 minutes the second time to get him back on the lead. Ever since i got him at 6 weeks he's been a stubburn dog. I've trained him like my other dogs in the past but he just seems to not as obediant. He also seems to have a good sense of smell and if there's any game about he'll find it. So getting back to the point any suggestions on how to train him not to run on when lamping? thanks

Work on the daytime re-call,transfer that training to the nightime,also the more time the dog spends in the lamp the sooner it will realise that returning to you will result in another run,repetition will usually bring some steadiness to your nightime forays.

Edited by morton

have a word in his ear

with a catapult :whistling:

:laugh:

works though ;) ......beats all the usual go back to basics with recall etc i like the quick instant fix approach myself :D

theres nothing more annoying when theres a few rabbits sitting tight my dog tried it one night lamp of an let the dog no who the boss is ....i could drop the lead on him in the dark now

In my expierience, the best way of stopping a dog hunting up is to choose everything very carefully. The ground, the night and the runs. In other words, success! Give him every opportunity for a catch, and when he's caught, he cant hunt up. Loads of praise for his return and try again for the next.

Now if he's caught a few on the trot, and much of that will be up to you, he'll be a bit puffed and may not be as keen to race round, nose down as he was. Again, loads of praise for a return and choose those easier bunnys wisely.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

I am with Bosun11 on this. With the extra that I would burn the energy of the dog by biking before taking it lamping. Make it tired a bit and then pick the perfect easy kill.

L

Agree with both above posts, easy runs and I do remember one lad who had the very same problem some time ago and he corrected the issue by means of a shock collar, mind you I would be very weary on the use of it, get it wrong and ya could ruin the dog, but sap it at the right moment and you may correct the issue. Worth thinking about.

Guest born to run1083

As most have said repition is the key, increase his chances to catch and take him out on the darkest nights possible. After each run turn the lamp off regardless if he gets straight on to another regardless how fit he is you wanna get the yo yo effect installed in his brain. In time it will all be second nature, one of the biggest things I find helps is have great recall, get them to return on the slightest whistle. If your doing day work and letting him roam and letting him be in control of the hunt I would stop it. Only work him at night where he only hunts off vision alone. Hope this helps. I will quickly add a shock collar in extreme cases does help but you need to know exactly what your doing with one or you f the dog up.