legal or not ?

we all set snares on fence lines etc, ans a 110 gripper on a cut out section does well on pig wire.. but do we need a tunnel over it as law ???,, its a slim line trap,unlike the fenns ,docs etc.. there is no trap pan that can be tripped.. the trigger wires almost the same diameter as a 6 strand snare and set as vertical to.. so i guess set under wire i would catch the same as any rabbit ,hare or fox snare would,, but being a spring trap ?..what do you think ?

I think this is a very grey area, the law says that the trap needs to be housed in a natural or artificial tunnel but there is no guidance on the size of the tunnel. I think it is left to judgement of the trapper what they deem suitable.

Logun. I think stock fence would not suffice as a "tunnel" and although I accept that your view about the trigger wire being the same thickness as a snare, to me, a trap is a trap, and a snare is a snare. (or a "wire" where I come from)

I may of course be proved wrong!

i know from experience.that rats,stoats,weasels and even fox run fence lines.. why would they want to go through your tap set 100 yards along a fence when they can go through anywhere ?.. i know rabbits run to feeding areas.if set on they runs very little chance of catching anything else. its common sense really ;) .

the law states the trap must be set within the overhang of a tunnel , natural or artificial, so i reckon you would not be within the law, just make a small wire mesh tunnel , it only need be a couple of inches wide to be lawfull if using bodygrips, you could even make a tunnel from dead grass, sticks etc, not trying to teach granny to suck eggs , just how i read the rules

I would agree with the last post,i would prefer to use a short cubbie wide enough to cover a set trap rather than just the wire of the fence,although i know which would catch better.Catching not target species willl always be a problem and when catching rabbit a 6" tunnel of wood or wire is of little protection to them regardless of length.In many ways a Body Grip type trap should have a different set of rules to a Fenn type trap.

Edited by michael flatters

i know the law with tunnels etc just an interesting thing i say ,fenns etc yes ,, but when body grip triggers ,if use triggers not pans,are set virtcal with the fence asw a snare would make me think, it was just a post out of interestand what others may think, :thumbs:

It's a perfectly valid question and the law as usual isn't too clear on this...BUT...the law is clear on taking all possible precautions when trapping to avoid taking non-target species (protected or not) so they've got you by the short and curlies either way...so it's got to go in a cubby, natural or man made tunnel .

Just one point to remember though...if N.E. prosecute you on this ,it's because they've got a better than good chance of a successful conviction...is short if you're in court for not using a cubby of tunnel.....your arse is grass :icon_eek:

It's a perfectly valid question and the law as usual isn't too clear on this...BUT...the law is clear on taking all possible precautions when trapping to avoid taking non-target species (protected or not) so they've got you by the short and curlies either way...so it's got to go in a cubby, natural or man made tunnel .

Just one point to remember though...if N.E. prosecute you on this ,it's because they've got a better than good chance of a successful conviction...is short if you're in court for not using a cubby of tunnel.....your arse is grass :icon_eek:

the law is so mixed up .where do the line get drawn ? spring traps verses snares ?? does a rat snare become a spring trap if fired off on some hazel spring ?,,,, just out of interest , where do we define the law.does a lsarson become a spring trap to catch birds etc,??

With bodygrips, does the law stress the size of the tunnel when the trap is set, or in the triggered position?.......? :hmm:

You would think a cubby would have to be used to stay within the law.

ithink the same j, does a culvert uder a road make a tunnel for as body grip lol .. any way j thats me practising on my 50,000 words i guess lol