tendon damage

My dogs hasn,t been out now for two months but there is still a lump,only small probably a bit smaller than pea size.I was wondering if this is normal after a tendon injury and how much longer i should give it before building his fitness level back up..cheers Brian

What and where? foreleg, back ???????

Its on the back foot just above the pad.

do you mean the hock mate that happened to mine

it seems to be the one to the second toe of the back right,its about 10mm above the rear pad,don,t know what its called :hmm:

Have you had a professional diagnosis of the problem? Can you put up a photo of the leg/foot? Even then, it would be difficult to offer a diagnosis over the net from a photo.

However, is the 'pea sized lump' hard or soft? How do you know it is on a tendon? Was there originally an open wound on that place? Is it affecting the dog's movement?

Scar tissue from any soft tissue injury can leave bumps/lumps which may or may not affect the dog's performance depending on what tissue is involved. If a tendon itself has been damaged this might cause problems if the tendon is a major one. If the tendon itself hasn't been damaged there could still be damage to the tendon sheath which might present as a lump, and which may or may not affect the movement of the tendon itself within the sheath: you see, there could be all sorts of things involved here, so it is nigh on impossible to offer any helpful suggestions without knowing more or seeing the dog.

When i took him to vet his foot was swollen and he told me it was tendon damage ,when i move his toe[photo attached ]it does feel like the lump is on the tendon to that one,will the lump go when it heals up?The lump is where my thumb is..

DSCF9214.jpgNot really much to go on i know but gives an idea where it is..He,s had 2 months out now ,the last 3 weeks been on anti inflammatorys ,it doesn,t seem to be bothering him that much now but the last thing i want to do is run him to early,any advice welcome..thanks Brian...

Edited by torchey

Is it bothering the dog? Have you had him out trotting? Does he go lame at all after exercise?

If the lump isn't bothering him then I'd say that he should be all right: most working dogs are carrying minor damage by the time they've had a couple of seasons under their belt. But DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT as the only person who can really tell you is someone who has examined the dog and knows what they are talking about!