Will Car phobia affect Field Performance

My seven month Whippet Pup has a car phobia, I am not wishing for a remedie, believe me I have tried everything, but nothing works, my Vet says it is not travel sickness, but fear of the car, I cant understand where it came from, as all his car journeys have ended in him enjoying himself, he was sick as a pup when he was being delivered, perhaps it stems from then.

I just need to put him in the car for two seconds, even if the engine is not running and immediately he is foaming at the mouth,

Today I took him with me ferreting,I left the car at the Village Mechanics place, when I let him out, the Mechanic thought he had distemper, he was foaming and slavering and shakey, with his tail between his legs, but after five mins away from the car he appears fine, then he is the same on the return home.

I am now accepting that he will always be like this, my question is, do you think when he is older, this will affect his performance in the field.

right problem you have a few things you can try as he may well dehydrate if you work him too hard as he is loosing liquid before you get there so it will affect his performance first i would put bicarbonat of soda on his food every day 1/4 teaspoon try feeding him in the car.try a traveling box one that is completley blacked out so hes in the dark.or put a hood on him covering his head this usuall calms em down good luck it will take time

Have you tried feeding him all his meals in the car to get him used to it? Maybe if he can't cope with that, start feeding him with his bowl near the car to start with, gradually moving it closer. Make sure he is really hungry first to encourage him. Good luck, it must be very frustrating.

My seven month Whippet Pup has a car phobia, I am not wishing for a remedie, believe me I have tried everything, but nothing works, my Vet says it is not travel sickness, but fear of the car, I cant understand where it came from, as all his car journeys have ended in him enjoying himself, he was sick as a pup when he was being delivered, perhaps it stems from then.

I just need to put him in the car for two seconds, even if the engine is not running and immediately he is foaming at the mouth,

Today I took him with me ferreting,I left the car at the Village Mechanics place, when I let him out, the Mechanic thought he had distemper, he was foaming and slavering and shakey, with his tail between his legs, but after five mins away from the car he appears fine, then he is the same on the return home.

I am now accepting that he will always be like this, my question is, do you think when he is older, this will affect his performance in the field.

awight, its bad breeding mate. bred without thought! it will get worse.!

mate got a pup from mike brown in wales never got sick all is pups are top notch as he breeds only the best.

shoot that one and get a pup from him instead mate.

A lot of thought went into this litter, sire is a well bred whippet top coursing lines through his pedigree Dam was racing champion 2008 2009 with a lot of quality racing blood, her previous litter are working well, both dogs work, pup is fine, in all aspects, just the car, the breeder was very experienced, and his bringing on the litter was spot on,

So I will not be shooting him, or buying a mike Brown,

Thanks for your help.

mate got a pup from mike brown in wales never got sick all is pups are top notch as he breeds only the best.

what a stupid thing to say how old are you pal sort your head out ffs

the problem can only get better when more association is made between the car and hunting, looking at how dogs view things as a negative being access to the positive,

like the way most dogs start off seeing the lead as a negative but after enough outings begin relating to it as a positive,

i thought the dog was older than 7 months, which in that case i have little doubt that when its drive kicks in properly in the next few months and informs the dog on how it relates to things in its environment that the car journeys will get easier for the pup,

it wont effect the dog in the field once his drive is strong enough, best of luck with it,,

I fukin seriously hope yer having a wee joke !!,, suggest yeh put a wee smiley at the end of statements like that,, so folk don`t think you are total wanker

• Like 1