Sparrowhawk or Buzzard

When i first saw it i though...spar, then after watching it thought, buzzard, then thought neither :blink:

It was'nt as dark as a buzzard but not as light as a spar...sort of a buff colour, small head, its flight was either flapping or soaring about 40ft above me, it was desperate to land in the tree i scared it out of.

I would say that it is a 'Goshawk'.....definitely not a Buzzard,and the wings look a little too big in proportion to it's body for a 'Sparrowhawk' :yes:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a awkward one :hmm:, It looks a bit suss to be a Buzzard due to its long tail! looks like a Accipiter of some sort as they wil spread their Primaries simular to Buzzard while going on the Soar but its guess work what it is! I'll stick with the Goshawk Sparrowhawk men :yes:.

A few years back a lady near by came round and knocked on the door and told me a large brown bird was taking doves fom her dove cot, I went round with another lad a few times but saw nothing until one afternoon when I was picking the kids up from school I bumped into her and she told me it was in her garden now, when I got there her Garden was huge with a small Orchard right at the bottom, on the top of one of the trees sat this bird which to my surprise was a female Harrishawk complete with Anklets and boy had it gone wild! I moved slightly closer and up it went on the Soar much like a Buzzard, I was shocked to see it go way up like any wild broadwing and ring away....

For what it is worth I would say that it is a Goshawk, but could easily be a big hen sparrowhawk as without perspective it is too difficult to tell. I remember the Gos being a bit of a rarity years ago but they have some healthy strongholds now and some 'keepers I know in the South Wales/Gloucs/Herefordshire area have good populations on their ground these days.

OTC

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I had a similarly 'tricky' bird on my patch last year and brought it here, rather in the hope the BOP lads would agree with my own tentative and burstingly hopeful Goshawk. Sadly, the one thing I distinctly remember then all saying which shot my Gos' theory to shit was that it ~ like your one, Moll ~ allowed me to be in the same county as it. At least the young bird did. The adult was far more wary and I hope to 100% clinch it this year when they return ;)

Mheanwhile, I'm rather gutted to have to agree with all those oh so confidently declaring it a female Sparrowhawk. Never easy to tell from shots such as ye presented there. But if we sit down and coldly compare those with The Best general Bird ID book on the market? I have to go with Spar :(

Here's what they say in the Collins Bird Guide The Birders Bible:

(The bit I've wiped out is a followed on referance to another species)

And here, if we examine and compare pictures? Note the tail differances / similaritys. Also, as 'Drops points out; She's looking 'full bodied' more at the crop. That's why she was hanging around. Later in the year we could suspect a nest. Much later, a youngster near by. But it does all point to a hard earned meal left in that tree ~ by a female Sparrowhawk. Bummer, really. Still no wild Gos'.

The other piccies i have from yesterday,

MOLL.

Are the two photos of the bird near the pylon etc, of the same bird in your first post? Have you any other photos taken of the mystery bird?

thanks,

Zek.

Moll, they need more photos over on Birdforum - the discussion has run to over 50 posts and is still not decided! Why not register on Birdforum and post them.

thanks,

Zek

PS. really interesting bird.

You forgot to stick this one up.. ;) ..

Millet

Is that the same bird?

Can I post it on Birdforum?

Zek.

Ill register later when i have time ;)

Yes it is the same bird and yes you can.

MOLL.

still think its a harrier now ive seen that last pic ,its holding its wings like a harrier pumping away.spars and gos have a more agressive wing beat.just my thoughts.

Guest ragumup
Moll, they need more photos over on Birdforum - the discussion has run to over 50 posts and is still not decided! Why not register on Birdforum and post them.

thanks,

Zek

PS. really interesting bird.

You forgot to stick this one up.. ;) ..

Millet

Is that the same bird?

Can I post it on Birdforum?

Zek.

zek you had a link on here for the bird forum and i went on it now it gone where is it ????????thanks