schooling my pup.

went out at 7 a.m. with the pup Willow and ferret.I went on the hill that we nearly drowned on over x mass.I netted up a six holer and entered the hob.2 fist sized rabbits bolted and the pup caught both of them.Now he had them he was unsure exactly what to do with them.The first he chased and brought to a stop and it ran again this time he picked it up and paraded it about before I got it from him,the second he caught he picked it within twenty feet of bolting,no hesitation.Not a hope of getting that from him until he came close enough to grab the rabbit from his mouth,I realeased these 2 back below ground,we then netted up a 4 holer and stood back.In a flash 2 rabbits bolted from seperate holes together,I grabbed one and the pup grabbed the other,now saying I was pleased would be an understatement,I despatched the one I had and moved in to take the rabbit from the dog which was still in the purse net,the rabbit started squealing when I approached which frightened the pup to death.He dropped the rabbit and legged it well away from his prey.I despatched the rabbit and had a good laugh at the reaction of the pup.Over another hour I got 4 more small uns that I realeased and 1 pregnant doe that I also realeased.All in all it was very good education for the dog.Now I have to concentrate on his retrieving,hes well behind in that department.

You're a braver man than me jigsaw,I wouldn't dream of taking a lurcher out on live quarry

untill it's retrieving was spot on.There are a lot of destractions for the pup when they start out

on the rabbits,they get over excited and all those months of training get forgotten about.

They are a lot easier to train before any bad habits have set in.Sounds like he/she is going

to have a soft mouth :) How old is the pup jigsaw?All the best with her retrieve training.

5 months tote,I had intentions of giving him a day on the rabbits once a month roughly.I want him to get used to seeing the ferret dissapear down holes,I'm not concerned about the rabbit side of it.I had intentions of being in control of the rabbits in the net,all was going well till the little babies started exiting through the nets.He wont see another rabbit till his retrieving and staying long distance is polished up big time.Your dead right though it was a little too much too soon.

Guest Frank

That all sounds fine to me jigsaw. :yes:

My pup was very excited when i first took her out and she did exactly the same thing, let go her first neted bunnys when it squeeled. :laugh:

She is now getting them and holding them just fine, even if they sqeel.

Iv only gone out a couple of times now, as your self, once a month. ;)

Their first catch in most circomstances wil not be retrieved, as they are so excited and become a wee bit possesive over it, not to worry, as consentrating on the retriving more, will soon sort that out. :yes:

Doing great mate. :clapper:;)

Frank.

owner was entered 20 years ago rizla smart ass,What do you think,Im going to hold the dog back from seeing a net or a rabbit and at 10-12 months old expect him to be steady with the nets,I dont think so.I will work on his retrieving and stay command but have intentions of doing a little every now and again just so he gets the idea.You another nit picker?

Nice read JS. :thumbs-up:

Its great to see them react when a rabbit pops up for the first time, wat breeding is the pup. Can remember when my pup chased her first rabbit, she chased it side ways down the field, broke me bollix laughing, her back legs were two feet to the side, and she continued to chase nothing even when the bunny made the ditch.

Next season I expect the dog to be steady to nets,trained to a handy standard,nothing too heavy.In the past I trained a lurcher to sit lie stay and could leave him 200 yards away without fear of him moving,the truth be told i never really had to use these talents to a great extent in the field.The dog knew where he should be,what he had to do,etc.This time I thought I'd get him to a level of control that would suffice in most situations.The only part I insist on is the stock breaking side.He must be 100% with sheep,cows,horses and anything else I decide is off limits,oh and he has to be bang on with the long nets.Wether I have the talents to instil this into him only time will tell.Irish lurcher my pup is pit/greyhound/collie/greyhoundXDave Sleights Blue boy,he will be a nice size I think and is very receptive to my voice so far,fingers crossed for the next 5 months.Thanks Macker,looking forward to next season.

Edited by jigsaw