mine ans the dogs First time out

I got my dog about 2 weeks ago from a rescue in Cumbria. its a Saluki/ greyhound cross. the problem was last night when i took him out for the first time(and mine). after catching the rabbit he just stood about 100 yards away in the middle of the field and and ate the rabbit. by the time i got to him there wasnt a great deal left of the rabbit. Has any body got any ideas or tips to help get him back to me after catching the rabbits. on the plus side watching him run was fantastic. cheers.

I got my dog about 2 weeks ago from a rescue in Cumbria. its a Saluki/ greyhound cross. the problem was last night when i took him out for the first time(and mine). after catching the rabbit he just stood about 100 yards away in the middle of the field and and ate the rabbit. by the time i got to him there wasnt a great deal left of the rabbit. Has any body got any ideas or tips to help get him back to me after catching the rabbits. on the plus side watching him run was fantastic. cheers.

you will have to learn to run the 100m a bit quicker :laugh: im sure someone can try put you straight good luck with it :thumbs:

ive had 2 do this one a saluki cross never did stop doing it, the other one i bred myself ate the first couple so i took him out with his father and ran them togeather he couldnt eat it then as the older dog wouldnt let him they started to retrieve togeather, now hes fine and retrieves to hand no problems. theres only so many a dog can eat, just put him onto another then another see whot happens.

You have only had the dog a fortnight so I'd spend some time getting the dog fit and trained before going out again, if you’re a good trainer and spend time you may get the dog out later this season. Go back to basic training and teach retrieve and all the standard obedience.

i would try bonding with the dog abit more mate you only had it 2 weeks have you done any training with him and also with him being a rescue you dont no his past just go back to basic traing and take your time theres still plenty of the season left if you dont the dog may never change good luck mate keep us posted

my bitch kills them mate and stands there proud as punch until i get there. she will not retrieve i stood there for about 10 full minutes and being a saluki x she won the stuborn test and i gave in. shes young and i will hopefully win her round as she matures, sorry i cant be of any help atb mate

i had a lurcher dog once when i was 14 that my father brought in for me, he would catch rabbits farely well on the lamp. he always caught the first rabbit and run down to the far end of the field from me and ate the head, every rabbit after that he would be fine with. i could never brake him of that habbit no matter what i tried but i was just a young lad then.

good luck with your dog hopefully you can sort the problem

atb trigger.