Which dog would you pick.

Hi I'm pretty new to this game so I was wondering which would be the best dog for all round shooting but mainly wild fowling, something that could manage a Mallard to Goose, I would be looking to get this dog around Febuary and have ago at training it myself :shok: thanks in advance, mike.

Lab ! Goose to big for the average springer, a large Springer might easily carry a goose on land. But on a cold day and a big lake, fast river or the sea . You are asking too much.

And i have prefer springers ! But i don't expect them to collect Goose .

Remember Springers are a flushing dog that retrieves . Labrador retriever its in the name.

Thanks for your replies I was thinking you might go with a Lab but was kind of hoping you would have said a springer as I have a soft spot for them :D what about a Clumber spaniel I don't know anything about them just wondered, what about prices for a pup of any of the above, a lot of questions I know sorry, thanks

If you really want a springer get a springer but get a big one. A lab is ideal for what you want to do but if every time you look at it you think "I wish I'd got a springer" then you will never be satisfied with it and that would be a shame for both you and the dog.

If you wanted to go for something a bit different, Chesapeake Bay Ret's are another one to look at. BIG dogs, great swimmers, good family dogs,(if a bit clumsy), the only bad point is that they can be a bit independant, especially immature dogs going through the 'trevor the teenager' stage.

Good luck in your search

Ali

Thanks all it will be a Lab I think, I will be thinking about getting a pup around Febuary and training it through the year ready for the following season, I have trained dogs before but only for the lamp, could anyone recommend a good DVD to get as I can't sit down and read a book I get bored to quick :hmm: , also any recommendations on where to purchase a pup from, the price would matter as I don't have a lot to spend but I don't want rubbish either so if I had to wait a little longer to save up that is what I would do, thanks for your replies, Mike