Cree Torches

Right, I ordered a 1000 lumen cree torch from China and it finally arrived last week. Took it out on Thursday night (minus dog who I thought was injured), and took along my 80 lumen duracell LED torch for comparrison. First impression was that it was bloody well bright for such a small torch, but when I got in a field and shone it at trees about 30 or 40 meters away I was really disappointed at the spot, and even more disappointed when I shone my duracell torch at the same point........the duracell has a much tighter beam and shines for a much further distance (in theory the Cree should be 12 times brighter!). There was quite a lot of light coming out of the Cree, but it's just not in a concentrated beam....it lights up a large area rather than one spot. I hoped that the batteries weren't charged so I came home and put them on charge but the f'ckin thing has now developed a fault which means I can't check if the beam really is that shite or whether it was just a case of not fully charged battery. When you switch to the main beam it will stay on the main beam for about 10 seconds and then it'll go to the medium one, and it keeps doing it (i.e. it ain't useable, not for lamping anyway!). I've contacted the person I bought it off and they've refunded but I've got a couple of questions for anyone that's got one of these or has seen one being used:

Has anyone used the 1000 lumen one alongside one of the 200 or 300 ones? I've heard people saying that the 200 lumen ones have really tight beam, this one definitely didn't have a tight beam, I'm just wondering if they've sacrificied the beam for the extra lumens?

If anyone has got the 1000 lumen one, is it any good for lamping or was mine just shite because of the battery (or the fault?)

Has anyone had a similar problem to the one I have had? and if so how did you fix it? It's definitely a problem with the switch because I've dismantled the switch a couple of times to try and sort it and each time I put it back together the length of time it stays on main beam differs. I'm assuming it's a loose wire in the switch or a bad connector or something.

I'd quite like to get to the bottom of it because they are well handy, proper small to fit in your pocket and like I say, seriously bright for a small torch. If the beam was tighter I wouldn't hesitate to order another one, but there's not a lot of point if a 25 quid 80 lumen torch from Argos is better!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

intresting reading fellas,,,, so in short , which is the best one , and wich company do i contact to buy one. now you guys have done all the hard work, lol.

i have tryed a few mate i am well made up with the 1600 does the job local good beam and well handy with the size but dont get the ones with the 6 lenses i use the single pm me if you want atb

yeah this one has a single LED aswell. Were all the ones you've tried decent or just the 1600?......I might see if I can fix the switch and try it again. You're right about the size, they are absolutely tiny, for anyone that's not seen one of these they are probably about 12cm long and about 2cm in diameter.

I have the 800 and the 1600 lm, i found the 800 had a good beam 200 yards easy and would light eyes up well over that, but the dog seamed to miss more on that tight beam close up in long ish grass and say 20-60 yards away, but i would still use it for spotting then get out the 1600 when i would run anything, and the hit rate was good! the 1600 is more a natural light ie it looks like its day light in the beam! and the best thing i found was both would fit in my coat no problem and they are light as f**k, alot better than my 6kg battery and the light force lance, but if i was going on big land i would use the lance!

I have the 800 and the 1600 lm, i found the 800 had a good beam 200 yards easy and would light eyes up well over that, but the dog seamed to miss more on that tight beam close up in long ish grass and say 20-60 yards away, but i would still use it for spotting then get out the 1600 when i would run anything, and the hit rate was good! the 1600 is more a natural light ie it looks like its day light in the beam! and the best thing i found was both would fit in my coat no problem and they are light as f**k, alot better than my 6kg battery and the light force lance, but if i was going on big land i would use the lance!

sounds like I've just got a duffer then! of all the things I could get that are knackered it has to be something that takes three weeks to get here :censored:

The design of the reflector also has a big impact on the quality and brightness of the beam. For example if I compare a surefire 200 lumens against my Lenser P7 200 lumens, the Lenser beats it hands down. However they are supposidly the same light output.

sounds like I've just got a duffer then! of all the things I could get that are knackered it has to be something that takes three weeks to get here :censored:

You,ve not got a duffer mate ,just ordered the wrong torch,the one you have is more of a flood than a spot,thats why your not getting the distance.Ive ordered shit loads of torches from china and all of them i can honestly say are worth the money,but not all are good for hunting ,had another 2 come through this week :D

You,ve not got a duffer mate ,just ordered the wrong torch,the one you have is more of a flood than a spot,thats why your not getting the distance.Ive ordered shit loads of torches from china and all of them i can honestly say are worth the money,but not all are good for hunting ,had another 2 come through this week :D

bugger! which one is the one to go for then? and how do I know if it's spot or flood, it doesn't say!

bugger! which one is the one to go for then? and how do I know if it's spot or flood, it doesn't say!

When your looking for one tap in cree zoom,that will give you a spot to flood torch,if your looking for a fixed beam the 500 lumens cree recoil is a nice little torch well worth the money..

This is what i got mate http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43a0f0c688

I,ve got some of them,good torches :thumbs:

defo are mate just gotta watch what your doing with the rubber switch as the first one i had i rubbed my finger along the switch instead of just pressing strait down on it so the rubber came off!!

you tried this one yet mate http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1600-Lumen-Light-CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-Flashlight-Torch-/150613836625?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item231148c351

i've got it and i like it

This is what i got mate http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43a0f0c688

I,ve got some of them,good torches :thumbs:

defo are mate just gotta watch what your doing with the rubber switch as the first one i had i rubbed my finger along the switch instead of just pressing strait down on it so the rubber came off!!

you tried this one yet mate http://www.ebay.co.u...=item231148c351

i've got it and i like it

Your right with the switch mate,not the best,but overall still a good torch.The one you put above i,ve got the same with adjustable focus ,another good torch, it don,t go as tight as the 800 but i like it :thumbs: