cull or keep?????

20 odd years ago I did shoot, sell, give away dogs that were not needed, for various reasons, (biters, jackers, divorce etc).

I can see the reason for culling big litters and culling stock that doesn't meet the standards of the owner.

As I've got older and more mature I've realised that there is another way.

Get a missus like mine who would (seriously) divorce and probably castrate me if I did any of the above now :bad:

Cheers, D.

culling dogs because of divorce lol lol simple answer is dont get married in first place an always have your own pad lol

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi ya depend what you call jack ?? what tackle you hunting for them to jack em on an yes my dogs have jacked at some point there living things not machines no i havent culled i have never culled any d

How many of the folks on here that wont cull have bred from there dogs that they know have jacked ran half hearted and failed ? and did ye sell the pups ? how many of ye were completly honest with the

A lot of problems are caused by folk buying in adult dogs and hoping that it will turn out a good one. Then there are the folk who get a pup and are in too much of a hurry to run different game. Eve

20 odd years ago I did shoot, sell, give away dogs that were not needed, for various reasons, (biters, jackers, divorce etc).

I can see the reason for culling big litters and culling stock that doesn't meet the standards of the owner.

Get a missus like mine who would (seriously) divorce and probably castrate me if I did any of the above now :bad:

Cheers, D.

culling dogs because of divorce lol lol simple answer is dont get married in first place an always have your own pad lol

No mate, only shot biters and jackers, sold and gave away during divorce.

And had to give away my ferrets as well the cow :tongue2:

Cheers, D.

Edited by dytkos

Cheers, D.

No mate, only shot biters and jackers, sold and gave away during divorce.

And had to give away my ferrets as well the cow :tongue2:

Cheers, D.

shoulda dropped a log on her door step i would have lol lol lol

i know its gonna upset a few folk, but it is a serious question...

we all know ye only get out what ye put in when it comes to pups, but most also know, that not everydog is gonna make the grade...

so what happens next????

do you cull/rrehome or keep what ye got an make the most of it??????

dont care how ye cull, or who ye rehome to, not what im asking....

be honest, have you got jackers in yer kennel, are you happy with them??? or have you replaced a jacker with a dog that gives its best..

atb

Dotty

i personally think that one should make up ones mind what sex you want to keep before breeding a bitch .... for example... i want a dog pup so at birth i will cull all bitch pups and leave the dog pups on the mother . these will go to start work very few will be gifted what ever fails get's culled simple ..... hope this helps dotty :thumbs:

well since asanley isnt the topic starter i can reply on this,

if i was into it on a serious note and did pest control on a reguler basis,any jacker would be culled no ifs no but,but since i dont i will never be in that situation

What does you Pa think to this Windy? He's had dogs for a long time.

if i was into it on a serious note and did pest control on a reguler basis,any jacker would be culled no ifs no but,but since i dont i will never be in that situation

all he said when i asked him was,

i bet 95% of the peoples dogs on that hunting site you go on would be culled by proper lurcher lads as all them lot do is sit and argue behind internet screens,

his words not mine

• Like 1

i bet 95% of the peoples dogs on that hunting site you go on would be culled by proper lurcher lads as all them lot do is sit and argue behind internet screens,

his words not mine

he sounds a very wise man your ole man windy :thumbs:

i know its gonna upset a few folk, but it is a serious question...

we all know ye only get out what ye put in when it comes to pups, but most also know, that not everydog is gonna make the grade...

so what happens next????

do you cull/rrehome or keep what ye got an make the most of it??????

dont care how ye cull, or who ye rehome to, not what im asking....

be honest, have you got jackers in yer kennel, are you happy with them??? or have you replaced a jacker with a dog that gives its best..

atb

Dotty

i personally think that one should make up ones mind what sex you want to keep before breeding a bitch .... for example... i want a dog pup so at birth i will cull all bitch pups and leave the dog pups on the mother . these will go to start work very few will be gifted what ever fails get's culled simple ..... hope this helps dotty :thumbs:

SAD :blink:

• Like 1

his words not mine

He sounds about right.

How many of the folks on here that wont cull have bred from there dogs that they know have jacked ran half hearted and failed ? and did ye sell the pups ? how many of ye were completly honest with the folks that bought the pups ill have a guess that all of ye were :laugh: do any of ye not belive that just maybe the reason theres so much shite out there is because folks breed of dogs that were average and below average but because the dogs were much loved family companions as well as workers there faults were overlooked and because ye wanted a pup outta dear old daisy before she died because she was such a sweet natured animal ye decided to take a litter keep a pup and sell the rest on, and just because ye loved dear old daisy and ye didnt want to hurt her feelings ye told folks that came for a pup she was the best dog ye have ever owned,my feeling is that the reasons above atribute to about 50% of the shite thats out there now the other 50% of the shite just comes from pure peddlars and bullshit artists, my belief is culling is a neccesary part of good stockmanship and should be carried out :thumbs:

question for you then mate what would you call a cull ?? an what would you breed from ?? have you ever bred from any of your dogs ?? :thumbs:

well to me a cull is a dog that quite simply cannot or wont do its job for instance if i bred a litter of fox dogs pre-ban say half cross bull/grey or wheaten/grey kept a pup reared it and entered it as i saw fit and the dog refused to tackle a fox point blank then that to me is a cull i wouldnt see the point in keeping it, i bred it for a purpose and for what i wanted and it cant fulfil that task,i wouldnt dream of re-homeing it or passing the buck so to speak,and what would i breed from well to me i would breed the best i had to the best i had or the best i could find to line something that in my opinion did the job i wanted it to and in my eyes to a good standard,and yes i have bred a litter or 2 of lurchers in the past but not many times and i havent for a while the lurchers i have here are to young for breeding and not proved they are worthy of breeding from yet and to be honest the oldest bitch i have here is in my opinion average at best but shes still young and only a second season bitch so only time will tell on that :thumbs:

• Like 1

How many of the folks on here that wont cull have bred from there dogs that they know have jacked ran half hearted and failed ? and did ye sell the pups ? how many of ye were completly honest with the folks that bought the pups ill have a guess that all of ye were :laugh: do any of ye not belive that just maybe the reason theres so much shite out there is because folks breed of dogs that were average and below average but because the dogs were much loved family companions as well as workers there faults were overlooked and because ye wanted a pup outta dear old daisy before she died because she was such a sweet natured animal ye decided to take a litter keep a pup and sell the rest on, and just because ye loved dear old daisy and ye didnt want to hurt her feelings ye told folks that came for a pup she was the best dog ye have ever owned,my feeling is that the reasons above atribute to about 50% of the shite thats out there now the other 50% of the shite just comes from pure peddlars and bullshit artists, my belief is culling is a neccesary part of good stockmanship and should be carried out :thumbs:

question for you then mate what would you call a cull ?? an what would you breed from ?? have you ever bred from any of your dogs ?? :thumbs:

well to me a cull is a dog that quite simply cannot or wont do its job for instance if i bred a litter of fox dogs pre-ban say half cross bull/grey or wheaten/grey kept a pup reared it and entered it as i saw fit and the dog refused to tackle a fox point blank then that to me is a cull i wouldnt see the point in keeping it, i bred it for a purpose and for what i wanted and it cant fulfil that task,i wouldnt dream of re-homeing it or passing the buck so to speak,and what would i breed from well to me i would breed the best i had to the best i had or the best i could find to line something that in my opinion did the job i wanted it to and in my eyes to a good standard,and yes i have bred a litter or 2 of lurchers in the past but not many times and i havent for a while the lurchers i have here are to young for breeding and not proved they are worthy of breeding from yet and to be honest the oldest bitch i have here is in my opinion average at best but shes still young and only a second season bitch so only time will tell on that :thumbs:

ok preban lets say you had this dog how many foxs would it have to kill ?? an what if it werent quite fast enough or nimble enough yet it was as game as they come it could slaughter but couldnt catch an really was only any good for drawing what then would you breed it ?? how many foxs that it simply couldnt catch would the dog have to kill before its proved itself ??

In my house we have different types of dogs. I have two terrier pups at the moment. Once (if, as I ordered them from Tolvi) they will live outside all the time. They will be dedicated workers. If they don't work they will be culled, and I will buy in some more pups.

We also have a labrador. He is first and foremost my girlfriend's pet. I am trying to train his as a deer stalking dog. If he doesn't work, then he will remain her pet, and I will try and find another stalking companion.

I have previously had a labrador bitch, and terrier cross spaniel bitch and a terrier bitch. The lab and cross I owned as pups. They lab now lives with my mother as a pet (she is 11). The spaniel cross was stolen out of my garden.

The terrier I bought as an adult (18month old). That is a mistake I will never make again. I had her for 18 months, spending over £300 in vets fees after she poked her eye out on a stick hunting rabbits. She jacked and was culled. It was not a hard decision to make, and even harder to do. The hardest part was telling my mother and sister that the dog they had looked after for 3 months while I was working away wouldn't be coming home...