Infected! Or things to do on a Saturday if you can't go shooting!

Got flu! Mary kindly gave it to me! Cough like a walrus with a sore throat and sniff like an elephant drowning in a vat of jelly! Not good! Cannot go shooting, in between coughing and sneezing, with the eyes watering I would not be able to hit a barn at 5 yards let alone a rabbit at 30 metres! There was however the Sandringham Game Fair on so the wife gave me some money and let me loose amongst the crowds.

I paid my money (£10 to get in, could get some decent pellets for that money) I coughed and spluttered my way over to the stationary engines (figuring that the coughing and spluttering from those would mask my own). These were more boring than daytime TV so I went and had a look in the main ring, which has 2 stuntpillocks jumping around on motorbikes and doing high falls onto air bags! I found this boring as well, so I decided to dedicate my time to searching out those essential hunting items I have not got. Well for a start brothers and sisters, I have sinned..

It has long been a boast of mine that I had no Jack Pyke camouflage! But I have been made aware (namely by the quarry giving it movement in the direction of off) that ones face really needs masking and that glasses can be a hindrance, so I found some nice mesh balaclava things, made by, oh no, Jack Pyke, it was all downhill after that, as I got some of their loose leaf strip things to disguise the barrel and fore end of the rifle! Stunned by my sudden affliction of Pyke I staggered off in search of refreshment, and nearly collapsed when I saw that a baguette (7 inches long if you were lucky) cost £5, a bottle of drink was £2.50, then I had a cunning plan. By buying one of the local rags goody bags you got a paper, 3 bags of sweets (always useful for a diabetic) a bottle of drink (spring water), a bag of crisps, a Cadburys Caramel, 2 packets of Parma Vioiets (to be used as exploding targets I guess, I do not know of anybody who likes those damned sweets) and a bag of dried fruit. So that is £0.5 off the lunch bill for a start, bag of crisps so I do not need any of their chips - deep fried frozen ones that did not smell particularly appetising, as I had the crisps as well £2,50 saving there, total saving £3 on lunch by buying a newspaper!

Buoyed after a lunch of very expensive shredded pig in a bun I started to examine the contents of the hunting wares providers in more detail, one had some beautiful knives, Morakniv Clippers, this was the first time I had got my hands on one of these knives, so that was purchased for £9 as well! I saw that they had the CO2 capsules for air pistols, at 60p each, a lot cheaper than I could get them locally, so had 3 of those as well I needed a set of mounts for the Supersport, so I picked up a set of Hawke double screw mounts for £9.50.

Now mother's German Shepherd is 11 years old, he is beginning to stiffen up in his dotage, mother usually gives him vetzyme tablets, I saw something called Youmove, which was basically the same thing but with more of the active ingredients in. Little tip here, anybody sees these at a game fair, get some, for free, they give away 30 tablets in a bag as a free sample and trust me, the stuff works! Indeed Simba was doing bunny hops over the corgi a few hours after taking the damned tablets, something we have not seen him do for a couple of years, so they seem to be effective. I picked up a pack of 60 tablets so that he could have a longer term (1 month) trial of these. The effect in the very short term seems very good though! Got a couple of retrieve dummies for the dogs and picked my way back to the main showring. Saw some falconers and watched the scurry carts for a while. Had another potter round and a word with my friend who has his stall out (the one who makes gun bags), Had a good chat with him, discussed getting a double rifle case made up so I can take a PCP and the gas ram in one bag. I don't know if I will, just one of my more lunatic ideas! All in all not a bad afternoon out, though I did chuckle at people buying Westlake B2 rifles with 4x15 scopes for a bargain £60! The National Target Shooters Association were running a competition where the main prize seemed to be a used Lightning that was nailed to the wall!!!

I was not lured to take part in that competition (£2,50 for 6 shots and you cannot use your own rifle either). There were the have a go at clay pigeon shooting places and once again I was not lured into shooting those either. A nice afternoon out though!

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 1