Hello folks, just after some info if possible please. . A friend of mine is just about to buy a 13 week old whippet pup, the little chap has been checked over by a vet and he has been found to have a "suspected" slow heart murmur, can anyone give me any details on the affects that a murmur may have on the dog ? The dog probably will be worked for rabbits at some point.

Thanks. . ATB , Tom

Yes mate, i'd pm Skycat, though she'll probably reply on here. In puppys things can rectify themselves, time will tell.

i once owned a dog with a heart defect, didn't know until i'd given him a harder night. He'd caught a bunny, probably around the 20 mark, lamp off and awaiting his return, he didn't show! Lamp on and he's fitting on the ground. Came round in the van, got him to the vets and found that one of the valves in his heart wasn't working properly, a non-return valve and alowing blood back in. He was a good animal but any hard night graft would see him doing this. My vet sorted it and I moved on.

There was a thread on this not long ago, with some very useful replies: here's a link I found a while back. I've known several dogs with slight 'murmurs' which went on to lead hard working lives with no ill effect. It all depends on if there is a severe defect in the heart or not.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cardiovascular/c_dg_arrhythmia

And here's the link to the other thread:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/213480-heart-murmur/page__hl__%2Bheart+%2Bmurmur__fromsearch__1

• Like 1