Set the larsen this morning for the first time this year

Less than an hour later we had a guest :D

Unfortunately he left in a body bag :whistle:

so will not be upseting the local small bird population anymore ;)

i dont know anything about larsen traps.but say if you purchased one or made one for the first time and wanted to successfully get something in it.how would you get the first call bird? do you simply have to wait until one is lured to bait? dont know much about this sort of thing. sambo :)

Yes mate there are eggs in the bottom of the trap I don`t know if it has any affect but it doesn`t seem to put them off,

Most keepers or anybody that runs a larsen will normally be happy to supply you with a call bird when they get one , the next one I catch is spoken for as a neighbour has asked fdor one to get his trap up and running :thumbs-up:

Edited by Chaz

Catching the first one is always the hardest part, but I have also found a nest of eggs or a split open rabbit to do the trick, even if the birds are reluctant to enter initially. I have heard that a mirror in the bottom of the trap also works to degree.

Once you have your call bird then the rest is easy! They will almost fall over themselves to go in, especially if you place the trap in their territory . . .

OTC

YOUR TRAPS LOOKS NICE AND LIGHT IS IT ANY GOOD OR TO LIGHT ? DID YOU MAKE IT ?

YOUR TRAPS LOOKS NICE AND LIGHT IS IT ANY GOOD OR TO LIGHT ? DID YOU MAKE IT ?

Somebody picked it up from a gamefair for me

the beauty of this particular one is the green mesh really blends in and unless you are looking for it you won`t see it which helps alot in the modern "help yourself countryside"

the only thing I wish different is on this one it has one top entry and one side entry section and would definately have a two top opening sections next time, as I have never caught a magpie in the side opener always the top opener, but I have caught rooks/crows in the side opener and top opener :blink:

hi guys just been to check on my larsen trap. i have finally caught not 1 but 2 the only problem was with my butter fingers managed to move one of them to the call bird compartment but when i was moving the other into a different trap the slippery little bugger got away whats the chances of recatching that bird? or is that it and it wont go near the trap again?

cheers sam