15wk whippet pup broken leg?

im away on holiday and left the dogs with the mother in law. cut a long story short, just rang her, the pups in the vets with a suspected broken leg.theyre keeping her in and will know more tomorrow at 11. told them to do whatever they need to do to fix it up they dont need to wait for my permission.

anybody had a pup broke its leg before and if so did it go on to run well?

if she's finished before she has begun then she will be solely a pet but im hoping its not a broken leg and that if it is, with her being only 15week old that it will fully heal.

im absolutley gutted and im a few thousand miles away for another 9 days, contemplating getting a flight home depending on what they say when i ring tomorrow. had her looking good and coming on well, im f*****g kicking myself now but it was a freak accident and nobodys fault.

gutted!

depending on how bad the break is i would have thought it will heal the age of the pup is in your favour. i had a bitch that broke her front leg and had it pinned she went on to work well for a good few years and still managed some big bags.

• Like 1

thanks for the replies. vets wont tell me anything as my mother in law registered her as her own to make sure they seen her. they did tell me that she wasnt in pain and was being cuddled by the vet nurses!!! she is cute!

shes to ring back at 4 so should know more then. fingers crossed. praying its good news and the worst of it is that im so far away

just spoke to the mother in law, pups out the vets, its a clean tibia break on her back left.

vet said she will have the plastercast on for 6 weeks and then is out of the game for another 6 after that.

need to get on with the holiday and then make sure shes got the best chance of a full recovery.

i will know more details when i get home because my mother in law is as dopey as they come

mate if u want her looked at by a running dog vet give me a shout he is dirt cheap and races greyhounds so knows his dogs . At the club i race there is an open class dog who broke his leg as a youngster and he made a full recovery and has won many open class finals throughout britain. I personaly would rest the pup litraly do not let her run in anyway shape of form for at least 6 weeks more if possible then slowly walk her short amounts plenty decent grub and as stated her age will hep a hell of alot . I would have thought it wouldnt be a serious break as if it was they would have known straight away . Plenty time and patience should see her right enough as i say her age will play a big part in it as she is still growing and if the vet does there job right she will heal properly with little effect to her future . All you can do is wrap her up in cotten wool and rest her i would be very doubtfull to her having a bad break or the vet would have know straight away mate . Hope she's ok bud let me know how you get on .

regards kris

just saw your reply mate would have thought the vet should have picked that up soons he saw her but at least you know the crack now plenty rest and as i say her age should see her right enough for you plenty time yet rest her over the winter then get her started next summer you can always get out with me over the season for a look with the lamp and ferrets anyway mate . fingers crossed she will be fine

kris

shes got a cast on now so its just a waiting game with her, she cant do anything and the little bugger has got a lampshade on because shes chewing her cast! im seriously gutted, she was coming on so well and looking good for her age IMO. i dont know how bad the break is as the mother in laws dopey but they said its a clean break of the tibia, said they waited so long giving a diagnosis because they wondered of there was something else higher up. like i said i will know for sure when i get back. shes being pampered now and back with the lab so shes comfy.

theres nothing that can be done now while she has the cast on but once she has it off i might get intouch and see if we can get her to that vet so he can have a look and tell me the best course of action as regards to rehab. lets hope that she makes a full recovery and it doesnt affect her working ability. shite when it happens when your away and you cant do anything.

shes got a cast on now so its just a waiting game with her, she cant do anything and the little bugger has got a lampshade on because shes chewing her cast! im seriously gutted, she was coming on so well and looking good for her age IMO. i dont know how bad the break is as the mother in laws dopey but they said its a clean break of the tibia, said they waited so long giving a diagnosis because they wondered of there was something else higher up. like i said i will know for sure when i get back. shes being pampered now and back with the lab so shes comfy.

theres nothing that can be done now while she has the cast on but once she has it off i might get intouch and see if we can get her to that vet so he can have a look and tell me the best course of action as regards to rehab. lets hope that she makes a full recovery and it doesnt affect her working ability. shite when it happens when your away and you cant do anything.

I'm gutted for you mate hopefully your pup will recover 100% best of luck keep us updated on her progress

atb mate

least you know whats what now mate she will be fine just a waiting game now , Can imagine the fun she will be with a lamp shade on here head lol the cast wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes without if she is remotely like her sister . Hope yous get to enjoy the rest of your holiday and im sure she will be alrite with a bit of time .

cheers at least i know shes not in too much pain anymore, shes a soft pup, doesnt like the cold etc so she must of been howling with a broken leg. poor little thing. looking forward to getting home next week and seeing her and ive only been gone a few days!