Hi guys, just bought my new shooter, its a Hatsan striker 1000s with Steoeger 3-9x40 scope. Have zeroed it in a 35yards with Bisley Pest control pellets which should do the trick for my first night out on friday. Will be doing an all nighter in hopes of bagging a few bunnies early evening and morning.

http://i938.photobuc...kweller/114.jpg

http://i938.photobuc...kweller/113.jpg

how accurate are you shooting with the bisley pest controls at 35yards? you will be better off with a domed headed pellet - airm arms field, h&n ftt, etc. dont listen to bullshit about how hollow points are better for knockdown power because first off flatheads do a better job of high impact energy but accuracy is poor, you always want accuracy over power.

atb

scott

• Like 1

Wouldn't go hunting yet Bud,

Get some range time with your springer with targets from 8,10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 in yards see where your pellets are hitting at these ranges with a 1 inch kill zone as your max

target at all these ranges, And when you can shoot Confidently placing your pellets in the 1 inch target at these ranges then you will be ready to learn stalking and hunting techniques.

regards Daz. :diablo:

• Like 1

Yeah thats my plan as our permission is huge so i can set up some targets without disturbing my mate who will be on the hunt, fingers crossed anyway. I want to be confident with it before i aim for the quarry so as not to mame or injure.

Its a shame i havnt got a local range to test at as this would be better in the long run.

My garden is just over 10 yards so not a chance of distance shooting there but i have plenty of farms on my list around me to try and get more permissions.

Rik

Hi there friend,

Nice looking springer there buddy i am interested to see how it performs, but if you really want to start off onto a winner with it you will need to zero it at 27 yards (25 metres max) with that .22 calibre and use a good domed pellet, the best one for the rifles barrel.

This is only if you’re up to shooting it at that range accurately and consistently buddy, if not try zeroing it at 15 or 20 yards and work up to 27 yards. (not sure how good a shot you are buddy).

Maybe AA Fields, RWS Super Fields, F&N, FX 16 grain etc unless you are happy to only shoot at close to medium range once you are better with the rifle.

A hollow point is 90% of the time only accurate at these ranges.

If you zero at 35 yards (32 metres) you will be out a 1 inch kill zone from 9.8 to 32.6 yards which will mean that you will probably miss many medium range shots unless you understand external ballistics and the trajectory of your rifle / combo. (the pellet will go over the top of the kill zone).

ATB

What ever you do buddy, just trying to help you out with a bit of experience

Si

post-2627-0-69542800-1314670172_thumb.png

Edited by zini

Another pellet to try are the Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums (hell of a name I know). These are cheaper than the Air Arms pellet, but they are made in America. The last time we tried Daystate pellets they were mank, real mank, a lot of misshapen pellets, we bought 3 damned tins after having good experience of them, but these three tins were so bad, we changed to Crosman.

Crosman have very few misshapen pellets, are 15.3 grain, fly very accurately and hit like a house brick! Crosman are now the preferred choice for us in our .22s (HW100, BSA Super 10 and BSA Supersport). Works well in PCP or springer, damned good pellet!

Right well had a good night out friday, was gauging the rifle and found that i deffinatly need to zero in at a bit of a shorter range :hmm: , found that i was overshooting most shots at medium ranges, dont worry it was all plinking and no live targets!!!!! :thumbs:

Definatly agree with all the info about being better at a lower range, will also try some other pellets like the ones suggested :thumbs:

and yeah it did give a bit of a kick

will keep you posted with my success and thanks for all the support its all welcome and helpful.

atb rik

• 2 months later...

Well here is an update after a morning zeroing in at a lower distance, thought 35 was to long as suggested, so her we go, first pic shows my zero efforts and the second shows my target practice, i know i need more time target practice so still havnt gone for any quarry yet, hopefully its going in the right direction :good: Any feedback always welcome good or bad lol :hi:

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad227/rikweller/053.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad227/rikweller/054.jpg

Edited by Rikweller

hi buddy

what a perfect post for a intro in to air gun shooting :thumbs:

right judging by the second photo,i would say yes needs a bit more work,for tighter groups about an inch!

and on the other hand,the second pic looks like to me 3/4 shots to the skull ? and a few more to the spinal cord.? if you was to put it over a print out of a rabbits head.

so you are nearly there :thumbs: keep at it,and try as many pellets as you can.and use the ones which group the tightest :thumbs:

keep us informed on how you are doing,there is a wealth of knowledge here for you to grasp!!!!

regards

Davy

Nice post about starting shooting with a springer. All i can add really is, once you get used to holding the rifle properly, your grouping should tighten up. A lot of folks grip a springer in a "death" grip due to the recoil. Springers are meant to recoil so let it BUT, keep a firm grip on it all the same:) I am sure one of the guys who is more eloquent than I am will put it better:) Best of luck and welcome to spring powerd air gunning:). And, I am assuming you are new to shooting, if I am wrong please do forgive me:)

John