i knew it would be frustrating

so i finally started the dog on the lamp, she is getting on age wise now, 18 months, has only caught one rabbit, and i helped a great deal, that was months ago and i was still ridiculously pleased that she had picked one up, but after that it went back to the same old, she will get behind them but not force any turns and just follows them up to the hedge where she then looks in for a moment and then comes back to me (unless she has just been released then she needs to run about a bit before she is atall obedient). but of course its all been daytime stuff, rabbits are always close to hedges, haven't been out ferreting like i wanted to, just working too much and being too fu**ing knackered to organise stuff properly.

but anyway, back to lamping, i have been out twice, since i got the lamp 6 days ago, thought she had cottoned on pretty good at first, she was responding to the lamp well, understanding the point of it, but always a bit slow on the recall avoiding coming back until i have raised my voice enough to scare everything for miles around straight to the hedges. and as a result of this i have been impatient to a degree, slipping her when i ought not to etc on long bunnies or bunnies too close to cover, (its a wonder she hasn't started yapping at them) and often i am immediately proven idiotic by some part dazzled spaz bunny running right up to me while the dogs off pratting about half a klik away!

so i am learning from my mistakes (i hope), and i am sure i will break through the dogs misunderstanding of the situation lol (one day) but for now i am enjoying the occasional half decent course on a bunny that coincidentally the dog and i have both spotted, inbetween longish periods of less entertaining more frustrating spazzing about like total tards, i suppose neither of us is as fantastic a hunter as we would like to be, but we WILL get there.

i'm not totally sure what the point of this post is, i am not really asking for advice, and im not really ranting or grumbling. But maybe some of you can relate to the frustration of knowing your dog is super fast and pretty keen, but not in tune with the boss or the bosses tools, and not practised enough to know how to pick them up easily. either way its gotta be mildly entertaining for you monster lampers out there hauling in your thousands of bunnies a week, to have a look at someone at the other end of the spectrum.

hh

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so i finally started the dog on the lamp, she is getting on age wise now, 18 months, has only caught one rabbit, and i helped a great deal, that was months ago and i was still ridiculously pleased tha

totally agree, i have been close to losing it a bit with her, but so far i am keeping myself in check. i know theres no point and it will go against me in the end. tbh i am in a way kind of glad she i

Nice honest post. Dont think your on your own pal and dont think it wont all come together eventually. The pup may well develop a few faults but nothing too serious as long as you use your head. Dont get frustrated and angry with the pup, it wont achieve anything and Im speaking from experience, lol. You will probably learn more from this dog than any other.

thats a terrifically honest post bud,i applaud you,,best of luck with the mutt,,

i think its funny how people arent honest with each other on a hunting forum, it just isnt helpful in the end, to anyone, if you lie you will eventually be proven to be a liar and look like a to**er, i dont mind admitting that my dog that i love isnt very good at her job yet, and i am aware that faults in the dog are simply a reflection of faults in the owner. everyone is, but they generally wont admit it. sometimes even to themselves. the way i interact with my dog will alter over time until it suits us both just right.

ferret with some nets then take the bunnies elsewhere , somewhere nice and big just a couple though for the first time :thumbs:

guarenteed catch dogs confidence will be sky high :yes:

yeah i never get the time to go ferreting any more, (and my ferreting buddy whose permission i could ferret on is absolutely terrible at picking up his phone, worse at organisation than me) now i work 6 days a week, and i am trying to retain some semblance of a social life lol, but that was the plan with the dazzled bunny last night, came casually bounding towards the beam, and i stayed dead still, went to boot it one but not really used to having the battery pack on and my kick was sh*t, and too early, but if i had knocked it over and grabbed it i would have had it right out in the biggest field for her. haha just had a thought, maybe i should take a landing net with me next time, could blatantly catch some of the more retarded ones.

Nice honest post. Dont think your on your own pal and dont think it wont all come together eventually. The pup may well develop a few faults but nothing too serious as long as you use your head. Dont get frustrated and angry with the pup, it wont achieve anything and Im speaking from experience, lol. You will probably learn more from this dog than any other.

totally agree, i have been close to losing it a bit with her, but so far i am keeping myself in check. i know theres no point and it will go against me in the end. tbh i am in a way kind of glad she is a bit of a test for me. its all experience!

• Like 1

Sounds like a no nonsense honest sort of post, makes a nice change from a lot of the usual bilge.

I, as Im sure a lot of others reading this, painted up a bit of a mental image of the situation and instantly added my own ideas of how to correct / help sort it.

I immagined myself giving the dog absoluetly NO free rein at all during daylight, infact not having off the lead at all for a good few months and letting it watch a made dog work on the lamp for a few nights with no intention of slipping the said dog but letting it keen up and at the same time get a good idea of just who is in controll of the slip.

Sounds like a no nonsense honest sort of post, makes a nice change from a lot of the usual bilge.

I, as Im sure a lot of others reading this, painted up a bit of a mental image of the situation and instantly added my own ideas of how to correct / help sort it.

I immagined myself giving the dog absoluetly NO free rein at all during daylight, infact not having off the lead at all for a good few months and letting it watch a made dog work on the lamp for a few nights with no intention of slipping the said dog but letting it keen up and at the same time get a good idea of just who is in controll of the slip.

sounds kinda drastic, definately want her to run next to a made dog, and have a corker in mind, but he is miles away at the moment. the last time she ran with other dogs was with a mates beddy x and bull x she was fine with the beddy grey, but the bull x freaked her right out lol, she went off after one rabbit, and i was pleased to see her go for it, but then the big dog came up behind her and she heard him and sorta skittered sideways, like ''hey f*ck this i dont need the bunny, you have it big fella'' very funny to see but super pathetic from the beast.

a very honest post. if you are starting on your own a lot of people will relate to your topic.keep at it just try to be calm. as said you will only learn from experience which will benifit you in the long run. good luck.